Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2003 10:07:00 PM EDT
I have a KAC SR15 Match (RAS) that I am going to use for my SPRish type rifle.  I want to cut the bbl down to 18", thread 1/2-28, and slap on a bi-lock for my M4-96D suppressor.  Just wondering which gunsmiths out there would be able to do this without killing my upper assembly.  Also, as far as accuracy is concerned, would you expect any loss of accuracy with 2" less bbl and the removal/reinstallation of the bbl assembly?

And yes, before someone aks, this will be put on a pre-ban lower, so I won't be in the wrong....

Thanks for any input!

--Keith
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 2:34:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Have Kurt at [url=http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/page/page/8932.htm]KKF[/url] cut down your barrel.  Always have Gemteck mount the bi-lock so your can will be warrantied, if someone else does it, Gemtech won't warranty the can.  Others can mount it correctly, but the warranty is worth it.  Shorter barrels do not mean less accuracy.  Cutting it down will change the barrel harmonics and it may actually tighten up your accuracy, or possibly degrade it, though shorter barrels tend to have less whip in general.  There are too many things being done to your barrel assy to determine for sure if your accuracy will increase or diminish, you'll just have to see when it is all done.  You will, however, lose some velocity and effective range.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#2]
you could have compasslake cut the barrel to length and change the profile saving weight. i had them do 2 for me and they both shoot great.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Have Kurt at [url=http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/page/page/8932.htm]KKK[/url]
View Quote

KKK..?!?
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#5]
lol, Kurt's Kustom, no he doesn't wear a white sheet and pointy hats.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Keith,

I'd give Gemtech a call and see if they'll chop your barrel, thread it and install the bi-lock.

They'll likely do it and you'll only have to send your upper to one place.

HTH,

Josh
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#7]
It was a typo dude its KKF Kurt's Kustom Firearms.... in the industry section.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 12:48:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have Kurt at [url=http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/page/page/8932.htm]KKK[/url]
View Quote

KKK..?!?
View Quote

um, [:I]

[slap]

Whoops, that was a serously bad typo, post corrected!

Additional comments:
Compass Lake Engineering really, really knows barrels, if it is affordable, I would not hesistate to use their services - they really know their $hit.

Gemtech I know can thread (I have ALL my barrels threaded by them, pistol barrels at least), go ahead and ask them if they can cut the barrel down like JoshNC said, save you money and hassle getting it all done at once in one place.  Their thread jobs are FLAWLESS.

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 8:25:51 AM EDT
[#9]
all else being equal (same diameter barrel etc) how much weight difference is there between a 16" and 18"?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top