Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2003 12:17:51 PM EDT
I presently have a pre ban 16" A3 HBAR 1/9 upper with stock bird cage.  I was thinking of having it cut down and perm attaching a vortex flash supp to still retain the 16" length.  

Thoughts?  Any suggestion on who could perform this work?

Thanks,

EZ
Colt CAR-15, 16" HBAR 1/9, ARMS SIR #45C, ARMS #40 rear sight, EoTech, GG&G vert grip, SureFire.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#1]

[url]www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com[/url]

IMHO, it’s mainly an appearance thing.  You don’t really gain or lose much either way.
The Vortex is the better flash suppressor and your AR will be about an inch shorter.
Bullet velocities are still going to be close between 14.5” and 16” with the edge going to the 16".

Ray

Link Posted: 10/11/2003 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Not to be overly vain, but I realy like the look of a shorter, stubby AR.  Thanks for your response!

I'll contact Kurts Monday.

UPDATE*  Just got off the phone with Kurt's...$45 to cut, turn and attach FS.  Not bad at all!  Think thats the route I'll take.

Link Posted: 10/11/2003 1:57:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Kurt is said to be competent. Proper muzzle and crown work is imperative to accuracy.

If you have a chrome bore, do not break the integrity of the plating. Get another barrel.

Link Posted: 10/11/2003 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm.  Good point.  Yes, it is CB.  Something else to consider.....maybe a new barrel is the way to go....Sheesh!  I keep spending more and more!!

Thanks for your response!
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#6]
What the hell is chrome plating integrity?  I have never heard of this feature.  

Seriously, there is no such thing. You can cut a chrome bore with no problem.  Id get it reprofiled while I was at it and shed some weight under the handguards.  You will get what you want for far less than a new barrel.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Would the reprofiling (which the guy at Kurts suggested I do...) affect accuracy very much?  I know you want a heavy barrel for consistency, but, considering I'm cutting it anyway, accuracy isn't what I'm going for primarily.

Maybe I just answered my own question...
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Milspec barrels are not all that accurate to begin with.  Noone has ever noted a decrease in accuracy from Kurts reprofile job.  I would just reprofile under the handguards and leave the fron all heavy with no M4 notch.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info.  I got some training later this month for a week where I'll need my Colt, but upon returning, my upper is heading to FLA!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top