Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/7/2003 7:39:00 PM EDT
I want a new one, but I dont have any experience with anything other than the USGI ones.  Is the Tango Down grip good?  What ther ones are comfortable and durabe?  tahnks!  Dave
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#1]
There are a lot of factors... right or left handed.  Big hands or smaller?   Do you want to store something in the grip or no? Then there is the what are you gonna do with it question.  A grip for target shooting may not be so good for MOUT-- and vice versa.  

I observe the G27/ergo grip is good for larger hands.  The Tango is more of a duckbill, coving that gap where the trigger guard can swing down.
I have not tried a duckbill, I believe they would be nice for one arming an M4.  I just got a Fist Samco G27, I like the size and the compartment.  I had a Hogue,  nice feel, a little small.

Test drive is the best idea.

TJ
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing fits my hand or suits my needs better than the Lone Star Ordnance stowaway grip with a section of bicycle innertube stretched over it.  A spare parts set and extra foam earplugs go inside mine.  I haven't seen them around for years, but I see the grips for sale once in a while.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 6:27:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys.  I am lefty with meium size hands.  I will be using it cqb also.  thanks! Dave
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 6:38:37 AM EDT
[#5]
My hands are not overly large and I shoot both lefty and righty... Tried numerous grips and found the Hogue grip fits my hands the best of any of them.  Switching from left to right is seamless...
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 6:58:07 AM EDT
[#6]
For me it's the Fobus G27 on all my ARs. Comfortable, practical and ambidextrous.

Link Posted: 10/8/2003 7:59:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I use a G27 but if Tango Down comes out with a beavertail grip I will switch immediately.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#8]
huey_crew_chief,

I use a "duck bill" grip from Alamo Sales (Through Brownells) as well as a hogue rubber molded and the standard issue. I'm a South paw.

The duck bill is sure comfy by covering the gap between the trigger guard and the grip itself. I also like the elimination of the finger grooves as I prefer on my defense pieces to just be able to grab and hose.  At times I find grooves to be a pain but they are basically a non issue really.  My biggest gripe against it is that the grip is too slim.  I will definately be adding some exterior layers to have it gain in girth.

The Hogue is comfortable and I do use it on my Varminter.  Since it's scoped up I take the extra time to settle my hand into the grooves and what not. The swelled palm is nice as well. IMO I'd call it the Beretta of grips.  Not exactly my cup of tea but they feel good in your hand.

Sly
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#9]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=19&t=165977[/url]
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#10]
The standard GI M-16A2 grip is my fave.  I know it's not high speed and low drag but it works and it feels right for me.  Having had my hand on one for over 20 years, old habits are hard to break.

How many hours, 67N?
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#11]
67N and 67Y.  I have a couple hundred hours.  I love hueys!  I am currently on active duty at Ft. Carson support all the III Corps assets. Our Company is at Hood, Carson, Bliss, Rielly and Sill.   I see you are with the 327 RCT.  Alot of history in that unit.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#12]
[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/TDFG007.jpg[/img]

She prefers the Tango Down BattleGrip. I tend to agree with her.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#13]
i am gonna have to go with her..

on my next date!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nothing fits my hand or suits my needs better than the Lone Star Ordnance stowaway grip with a section of bicycle innertube stretched over it.  A spare parts set and extra foam earplugs go inside mine.  I haven't seen them around for years, but I see the grips for sale once in a while.
View Quote

I've got one on a paintball gun.  Hate it!  Angle seems steeper than usual, and my hand slips up way too high.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 12:29:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I prefer either the Hogue or the [b]overmolded[/b] version of the Ergo grip cause I like the soft rubber, though the standard Ergo fits me better.  For those that like the Ergo, but feel it was just a tad to small, try the overmolded style which are once again available.  Now if they would just make an overmolded Tango Down, I would switch.

BTW, I use the 'gapper' (from Ergo/Falcon Ind.) on my setups so a duckbill type is not necessary.  It prevents your second finger from chaffing on the underside of the trigger guard if you don't already have a duckbill type.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 7:24:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I vote for the Hogue overmolded grip, To me it just feels good.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I prefer the Hogue as well.  Feels just like my Smith and Wesson 686.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#18]
This just arrived from Bowers Tactical:

[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/kisara/KisaraTDbattlegrip.jpg[/img]
MM if you see this, your TD photos inspired me!

Thanks to SMGlee for convincing me to go for the TD.  With that and my VLTOR, I now have enough power for the next rolling PRK blackout.  

That Sierra is tempting me though for my next build...
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
MM if you see this, your TD photos inspired me!
View Quote

i see it! [:)]  thanks, kisara, and nice pic!
needless to say, the TD battlegrip is my fave.
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#20]
The G27 and hogue is nice and feel great, but grip such as those with the finger groove have no place in a serious combat carbine.  the finger groove is just another distraction for something to go wrong while you are clearing a room.  transitioning strong side to weak side you will have to switch your grip, and sometimes the finger groove will get in the way of a good grip, and that second hesitation is that second you might need to make the shot count. Mr. Murphy have a good habit of popping up in some the most inconvenient time.

I think a bigger TD grip will definitely a good developement for guys with bigger hands, but as I am an avg. height with avg. hand size the current TD grip is tops in my book.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 6:19:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Tango Down Battle grip....followed by the Ergo Grip.

Just my 2 pesos

Link Posted: 10/11/2003 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#22]
SMGLee makes some great points about tactical considerations ... but for many AR owners, the bottom line is what fits their hand best. Having tried both Hogue and ergo grips, I've settled on the G27 as the most comfortable. I just shoot better with the G27 on there.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Im old school.  Still puttering around with A2 grips, only because Ive adapted my shooting style to them over the years.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm older than Lumpy. I prefer the standard, old-fashioned A1 grip.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#25]
... but for many AR owners, the bottom line is what fits their hand best.
View Quote

You have it all wrong guy. You should be making your purchase based on scenarios that have a 1% or less chance of actually accuring in your lifetime.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#26]
[LOLabove]

Witty sarcasm achieved, Sir!
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 12:11:36 AM EDT
[#27]
I really like the grip from Olympic Arms.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:27:50 AM EDT
[#28]
I've seen this thread a few times.  I always put in a vote for the Sierra Precision.  I have big hands, but I can't imagine someone having hands too small for it.  It puts the right handed grip in such a perfect position.  Trigger finger placement is idiot-proof. (I need that).  It is not impossible to shoot left handed like some may say.  If my right arm gets shot off or I'm taking a leftside shot from cover, I don't think I'll be complaining about the blister the thumb shelf is causing.  

You can't fit any extra D cell batteries and bolt carriers in there either...bummer.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:35:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

You have it all wrong guy. You should be making your purchase based on scenarios that have a 1% or less chance of actually accuring in your lifetime.
View Quote

BAHAWHAHAAA!!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Definitely pick whatever is newest / most expensive / whatever it takes to one-up the other guy!  Pick whatever looks the coolest when posted on a web-site.

The Hogue grip works very well FOR ME.

Scot

(edited to remove excessive use of exclamation points)
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Definitely pick whatever is newest / most expensive / whatever it takes to one-up the other guy!
View Quote

Who do you think you are, AK_Mike?
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 12:48:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Definitely pick whatever is newest / most expensive / whatever it takes to one-up the other guy!
View Quote

View Quote

Second witty sarcastic torpedo fired, target detroyed!

AK_Mike is busy ordering the Tango Down Forward Grip right now, as well as the rear battle grip for photo op.  I haven't released new pictures just yet, was busy acquiring new carbine telestocks - my 4 month old 6 pos M4 stocks (modified for KAC rear sling QD mounts) are so yesterday.  Where is that damn URX already?  Where's the next new accessory, I just sold some stuff at a gunshow and got some extra scratch to blow...
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 8:07:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

BAHAWHAHAAA!!!
View Quote

This might be funny, but my advise is for someone that might want to take their carbine craft seriously.  sure bench shooting is great, you can use any grip you want but I give my .02 cent based on all the great advise I had the pleasure to listen to during my time from some of the best in this field and I am just a mouth piece for their mind.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 11:06:33 AM EDT
[#34]
i just got one of the pachmayr grips... i liked it for about the first 100 rounds. now i hate it. it is a bit too big at the top of the grip. going to try the hogue next since i keep hearing good things about them.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#35]
This might be funny, but my advise is for someone that might want to take their carbine craft seriously.
View Quote

Please explain how installing every new product that comes down the pike in/on your rifle constitutes "taking your carbine craft seriously" or by your own tone, more serious then others? Even when said new products may in fact be untested, and when used in conjunction with other trendy new parts/products may in fact render their crafty carbine LESS reliable?

Me thinks someone takes THEMSELF a little too serious.

Link Posted: 10/13/2003 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Hmm... quoting someone quoting me... cool!  However, it does seem like there is a little AR snobbery going on here, it makes for an easy target... all in fun.

Actually, I'd like to try one of those "trendy" Tango Down grips, the storage area seems like a good idea.

Scot  (is snobbery a word?)

Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This might be funny, but my advise is for someone that might want to take their carbine craft seriously.
View Quote

Please explain how installing every new product that comes down the pike in/on your rifle constitutes "taking your carbine craft seriously" or by your own tone, more serious then others? Even when said new products may in fact be untested, and when used in conjunction with other trendy new parts/products may in fact render their crafty carbine LESS reliable?

Me thinks someone takes THEMSELF a little too serious.

View Quote

I do not install every little trendy product on my gun when it come down the pike.  I pick the ones that will work with my gun. I install parts that may make the gun more reliable and I test the part and gain my knowledge to share with my brothers on this board so some might not have to spend the money to find out. I just give my opinion, like it or not it is just my humble .02 cent.  I don't take things too seriously, if you know me you will know I am the most light hearted most easy going guy around.  

When ever I make a change to my gun, I will always keep another gun in perfect working order.  I never let more then two guns go on product improvement.  once the part is tested and installed, I will then upgrade the rest of the gun one by one as time and funds premits.

have a nice day brother.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#38]
I have the Hogue on all of my AR's, They feel  and work the best
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 1:04:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Sorry to be off thread, but I feel we are lucky to have someone like SMGLee who can and does get to try out a lot of what becomes available.  He is a tester that we don't have to pay.  He has a lot of experience and if he tries everything that comes out, that will save you from blowing your hard earned clams on something without knowing if it's good or not.  Others I know try what they can, keep it if it's good to go, ditch it if it isn't, ever improving their rifle.

Me?  I have no excuse.  As it is, I am now sending SMGLee a new accessory (new rate reducing buffer) to test out for me cause I don't have time to. (Chen, will be sending that buffer cause I just found it again the other day)

Someone needs to come out with a Hogue grips without the finger groove.  The finger groove is a deal breaker for many on the Hogue, Ergo, and other grips.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 8:16:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Someone needs to come out with a Hogue grips without the finger groove.
View Quote

That's the same reason I got rid of mine too!  I got a good deal on a package of 4, but should have tested one out first.  Glad I kept the original packaging for the one I opened!  They all went to satisfied Ebayers.[:D]

Between the compact Acog, Hogue grips and gray Colts, I'm beginning to think you and me are brothers separated at birth... [;)]
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#41]
When SMGLee brought up the transition thing I had never thought of that before and usually just spent an extra half second getting my grip settled back down.  Since he brought it up I finally realised I wanted a grip with no finger grooves (even though the G27 fits my larger hands just fine) I do HAVE to have a beavertail though and a fat enough grip to fit.  I would say try thr non fnger groove grips first and then if you have to try something else to get a proper fit becasue the available grips are too small then do it but it is something to consider if you want to use your grip for self defense and in carbine classes.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 9:38:17 AM EDT
[#42]
DevL,

Have you try the Ergo ambi grip, it has a beaver tail but it is not as thick as the Hogue or the G27.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 10:09:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Yes I tried it before the G27.  G27 felt better as I have large hands.  Ergo had smaller finger grooves.  Please tell you buds at Tango Down there is a market for people like me that want a fat beavertail version of their grip.  I feel left out of the Tango Down grip craze. [:(]
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#44]
G27 is what I use for know.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#45]
I like the Hogue.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Will probably be slammed to the ground and kicked repeatedly in the head for this, but I have found nothing that feels any better to my hand than the original A1, no finger seperater, type.

I appreciate the fact that there are a plethora (finally got to use that word[:D]) of aftermarket pieces out there.  Bless all of you who want to spend your money that way.

Maybe it's just that, after nearly 30 years of owning and shooting ARs and M16s, my old hand just doesn't feel right wrapped aroung anything else. Of course my other hand also likes the triangle forends, and small round XM177 handguards too. What can I say[:D]
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Don't feel bad for liking the old A1, I too love the A1 grip, that is why I started using the Duckbill grips and now I switch to the TD grip because it feels a bit better then the Duckbill and offer the water proof storage compartment.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I appreciate the fact that there are a plethora (finally got to use that word[:D]) of aftermarket pieces out there.  Bless all of you who want to spend your money that way.
View Quote

shamyim,

Even as a guy who gets paid for AR accessories, I must confess that I sometimes sneak in some range time with a simple old 11.5" shorty.  LIGHT and SIMPLE and FAST!

After I snap out of it, I grab one of our latest proto-parts guns which usually wear an Ergo grip.

southern
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Where can a stingy guy get this SPR grip?
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#50]
imposter, I know [url]www.mstn.biz[/url] carries them.

I put a Tango Down grip on my AR a few weeks ago, I must say, I am very impressed with it.  I feel it's the best one I've had access to, which has been pretty much all of them at one time or another.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top