Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2003 2:20:59 PM EDT
This winter I'm planning to build an AR upper for the purpose of being lightweight, accurate, and shooting heavy bullets (68-75-77gr).

The idea is to set up a free-floated 18" A2 or lightweight barrel, with a JP Comp on the end for recoil control.  

Where can I get a A2/Gov't or similar lightweight profile barrel in 1-in-7" or 1-in-8" twist?     Stainless preferred.  If it's 20", it can't be chrome-lined, 'cause it'll have to be chopped to 18".  5.56 chamber.

Bushmaster's are 1-in-9" which is too slow.

thanks
Zak

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.compasslake.com/[/url]

or

[url]www.mstn.biz[/url]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
What about

[url]www.jprifles.com[/url] ?
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd go JP in a second.  For $500, their barrel is already threaded pre- or post-ban and includes their comp and adjustable gas block.

Only problem is that thier Ultralight barrel - which is sweet, even lighter than A2! - only comes in 1-in-9" twist.

-z
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Why do you say you cant cut a 20" chrome lined barrel when its perfectly OK to do so?  I say get a Bushmaster A2 1/7 profile barrel and send it to Kurt Wala for a cut to 18" and have the end threaded for your comp.

The 1/7 twist is the government spec which Bushmaster uses.  They only do M4 and A2 profiles in 1/7 chrome lined 5.56 chamber.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#6]
DevL,

Right on Bushmaster's "Barrels" page, it says: "Rifling? Bushmaster barrels are button rifled with 6 grooves and lands (right hand twist, 1 turn in 9", except for DCM barrels - 1 in 8")".

Where does it say they have other twists?

As for cutting, I thought you couldn't cut a chrome-lined barrel and adversely affect the chrome at the muzzle?
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Well you are mistaken on both counts.  If you want to do more research you can.  I got this nice 1/7 twist M4 barrel on my Bushmaster which was a contract over run for the DOE.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#9]
DevL,

It's good news to me that Bushmaster makes them.
(Nowhere on their web-site are they advertised.  In fact, a Google search for < barrel site:bushmaster.com  "1 in 7" > (or "1 turn in 7") returns only references to why they don't use that twist.)   Regardless, I'm glad to know it.  

So where can I buy one, since Bushmaster seems loathe to admit it?

MSTN,

Like I said, I'm looking for either an A2 profile cut down to 18" or something that weighs nearly the same or lighter.  Straight HBAR all the way is too heavy for this rifle's purpose.
I didn't mention "accurate" in the description of the barrel I am seeking because I think just about any decent barrel will do.  1MOA 5-shot groups with Black Hills 75 or 77gr is good enough.

thanks
Zak
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:51:05 PM EDT
[#10]
You have to call them and ask if any are in stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top