Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2003 4:32:58 AM EDT
This thread was inspired by a discussion that evolved out of a question about “How far forward do you guys mount your vertical foregrips”?  In that thread the question of whether to use a top panel on a RAS was revisited and got me wondering about my current setup.  

Now I have seen this issue addressed before, and understand the reasoning behind removing the panel to aid in heat dissipation, but how much cooling are we talking here?  I have always kept my panel in place for several reasons.  First is aesthetics, as motioned in the other thread it just looks nice.  Second, and probably most important, at the indoor range where I do the majority of my shooting, I inevitably end up placing my rifle in a rack type holder, i.e. in a vertical position, barrel up.  I can’t even begin to count how many times I’ve blistered my fingers by grabbing for an excessively hot rifle without thinking about it.  Now I’ll grant you this usually has to do with grabbing the barrel that I expect to be cold, but I’ve at least trained this Pavlov’s dog that green = cool, good…black = hot, bad!  Wherever I grab the hand guard it’s going to be cool enough to handle.  

Now my rifle is not full auto, and I don’t often find myself empting the Beta mag through it, so does this ChairBorne Ranger really need to remove his top panel?  Even in a SHTF scenario, am I going to put enough rounds through the barrel that removing the top panel is going to provide sufficient cooling to prevent any barrel damage, or can I continue going through life with my aesthetically pleasing, finger saving, Homeland Defense Rifle?  Am I way over thinking this?  (Probably, but that’s what happens when things are slow at work.)  At any rate, I would like to here everyone else’s opinion in the matter, especially those with first hand experience.  

Regards,
-Matthew
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:33:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice looking rifle!  Is this one of the Medium-Short KAC FF RAS tubes (KAC P/N: 991687)?  It looks too long to be the normal short FF RAS but it seems too short for the Medium-Long unit?  

If so, may I use your image on my webpage at...

[url]http://quarterbore.com/kac/kacffras.html[/url]

I have a pair of these myself but I have yet to assemble one of them as a rifle.

In regards to your question, I don't add a cover to my top rail but there is neither a reason why I don't do it nor a reason I would do it?  I guess I like looking down the top of the rifle and having a clean set of rails but if it works for you...  enjoy it!

If I had an M-16, I think I would actually want the top cover as I have burnt my hand on a metal float tube with the M-16.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:14:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:16:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quarterbore,

Good point about the M-16.  I think if I still had black furniture on this rifle, I wouldn’t mind the exposed clean rail all the way down, but in this configuration, it just adds a little more green, if you will.  

As for the RAS, I believe it’s just the standard Mid-Length, but I’ll check P/N this evening.  Feel free to use my photo if you like.  You have used another one of mine in the past, and I’m always glad to help.  Your site is a great source of information, and I’d be glad to do what I can to spread the knowledge.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:23:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks and if I am correct your pic is still on the website with the short FF RAS, correct?  When I update the page I will give you some long overdue credit!

Also, count the holes in the FF RAS... (the round holes).  I believe yours will have 7-holes which is what I characterize as the medium-short tube.

There are not many of these tubes around and I know Wes had a couple but otherwise a quite uncommon extra!
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I leave my top rail bare.
I have also dremeled holes in a nice pattern on my side panels for even more cooling and coolness LOL
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#6]
You just like making me jealous posting that pic again. [:D]

I took my top panel off on Coldblue's recommendation.  It does look nicer with one on, but I put A LOT of rounds through mine gun in one session and ever little bit helps.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quarterbore,
Sadly, the photo of my rifle with the FF RAS no longer represents the unit on your website.  It has been replaced by a rifle with more $BLING$.  By the looks of it, I would say the current photo is of MSTN heritage, possibly Wes’ rig at some point in time.  Very few of us have the resources to keep up with those guys.  They represent the pinnacle of $BLING$ that I aspire to.  Below, is one last look at my rifle when it wore a Short FF RAS.  

I will check the number of holes - P/N of my medium when I get home from work, and let you know what I find.  

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=18017[/img]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I leave my upper rail bare.  In fact the only rail cover I use is a full length cover on the left side of the weapon.  Light is on the other side and foregrip underneath.  I do plan on modifying one to fill in the open rails aft of the surefire though.  But I'm not in a hurry...[:)]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 12:23:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Second, and probably most important, at the indoor range where I do the majority of my shooting, I inevitably end up placing my rifle in a rack type holder, i.e. in a vertical position, barrel up.  I can’t even begin to count how many times I’ve blistered my fingers by grabbing for an excessively hot rifle without thinking about it.  
View Quote

Even [i]RATS[/i] can learn that grabbing the food attached to the electrode is bad!

I think we need to sell you to a behavioral scientist [;D]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Even with the top panel on, the short FF-RAS cools a lot better than the M4 handguards. You have a longer FF-RAS (bigger heat sink/more surface for heat dissipation) and exposed aluminium on four sides at the front.

I imagine you are way ahead of a plain M4 on barrel cooling even with the top panel.

By the way, good looking rifle!
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#11]
If I am going to use a vertical grip, I leave it bare.  If not, I cover it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:17:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If I am goint to use a vertical grip, I leave it bare.  If not, I cover it.
View Quote

I just can't help myself...  So, do you mount the vertical grip to your top rail?  can you post a pic?
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#13]
[nuts]

We are talking about the top rail and cooling right?

Personally, I prefer the grip at 90 degrees like the Sterling [;)]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#14]
OK, just teasing and I understand your logic...

I am just board out of my mind tonight and nothing seems to be capturing my interest and the wife is 6-mo pregnant and just a little testy....
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I know, but I've never used the nut kicking icon before [;)].
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 6:59:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks and if I am correct your pic is still on the website with the short FF RAS, correct?  When I update the page I will give you some long overdue credit!

Also, count the holes in the FF RAS... (the round holes).  I believe yours will have 7-holes which is what I characterize as the medium-short tube.

There are not many of these tubes around and I know Wes had a couple but otherwise a quite uncommon extra!
View Quote

Quarterbore,
I am sorry to report that my FF RAS is the standard or long medium variety.  It has 10 cooling holes, is 10 inches the front to the end of the threads, and is marked P/N: 99166.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2003 7:20:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Nothing to be sorry about... it's aughful hard to tell sometimes and I guess I just need to build a rifle with mine if I want a pic on the website?

I may still use your two pics and I have uploaded them to my server for  when I get a chance to work on the page...  Thanks for the update!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top