Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2003 1:37:19 PM EDT
Okay...so you're an LEO and you want an AR-15...do you buy a Colt???
Bushmaster?
Rock River Arms?
Armalite???
I am soooo confused about quality and there are many of these I have never seen in the flesh.
Can civilians buy an FN AR-15???  is there such a beast??? (FN makes some M-16s for the Government)
Not to start a war but throw an AR-180B into the mix...yea???  Nea???
Thanks,
Bill
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:04:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Well as far as pre-ban or LEO AR’s I prefer Colt or Bushmaster.  The LEO Colt will cost about $100-$150 more (depending on model and dealer) than a LEO Bushmaster.  But with the LEO Colt you get the M-4 feed raps on all models and the M-4 handguards and side sling adapter on the “Law Enforcement Carbine”.  Now if you look at it from a completely business aspect you can buy the LEO Colt and sell the upper and stock assembly for about what you paid for the entire weapon or more.  Then buy a Bushmaster upper ($535) a RRA stock assembly ($69) and have about $600 in your LEO AR.

Ray
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 11:05:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got several friends running the LE M4's from Colt (What is that the LE 6920 model?) And I've shot all of them. They run like tops with one single exception and I replaced the gas ring with a McFarland one and put in a Wolff extra power extractor spring and it runs like a champ now.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 11:23:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info...I wasn't sure but since NO ONE ever talks about FN I figured it couldn't be got...as for the Colt's...everyone I have seen and people who have them say they run great...they may not look the best (but maybe they do) but they have run without a hiccup (or do you say hiccough???)
Bill
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#5]
What about the "Government" Carbine...just the Law Enforcem,enforcement Carbine with a heavy barrel...(does it have a flatop???)
Thanks, again!
Bill
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out the Bushmaster's at OMB police supply.  They have about the best prices I have seen for a LEO AR-15.  www.ombps.com

I have a Colt Gov't carbine (6520) and love it.  However for the price, if I had a choice ,I'd go with the Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks...I will look into that...have gotten their catalog before...what about waiting until the sunset of the assault weapons ban...will all the post bans be cheap and will prices of "pre" bans drop if the after bans are just like the pre bans???
NOBODY likes the AR-180 or am I lookin' in the wrong place???
Bill
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Also depends on your department policy.  For years, our department would only authorize Colt ARs.  Other than that, get what fits your mission and what you'd bet your life on.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 12:07:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know if it is more of an individual or an agency factor, but one might consider the customer service aspect of the manufacturer. Colt has been known for some good parts/work but their customer service has the perception of being among, if not THE worst of AR manufacturers. Bushmaster's is perceived among the best.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I see you are in Illinois, you ought to talk to Robert at Rock River Arms in Colona or Donnie at Sableco and shop in Illinois.  (Donnie is a deputy and a heck of a nice guy.  Robert ain't bad either!!!) Bet you wouldn't be disappointed.  dg.

P.S. Robert-  got you to look!
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll be getting a couple of New Colt 9mm Carbine lowers in LE/Mil Restricted in a couple of days if you're interested in those.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 6:34:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks, but if I do this (and that window is closing...impending kitchen re-model...ouch!) I will go .223.
Bill
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 7:55:46 AM EDT
[#13]
If you buy the LEO carbine with the Heavy M4 barrel (for suppressed auto use by SOCOM soldiers).  You could sell the upper and stock for about $600-$750 or more.

Then buy a Garrison T-numbered upper and Bushmaster M4 barrel 1/7 rifled and a KAC RAS and assemble it for $179- barrel $85- upper $260-RAS -$65RRA stock Approximately $665 total.  

[b]It would be free RAS's... The complete uppers should be avoided if you want to do this on a budget.  (complete Bushy upper $535.  Complete Garrison/Bushy Upper with RRA double shielded handguards- $295.[/b]

The Colt is the way to go if you have the money (I like the prancing pony reciever and telestock better.) If you get Colt go for the M4A1 (Full auto) not the M4.  You get the heavy M4 barrel and full auto.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top