Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2003 2:33:59 PM EDT
I've been a CQB-type AR guy for years.  M4s, shorties etc.  Well the whole long(er) range thing has bit me.  I'm thinking about a RAS freefloated 20" with a Leup 3.5-10Tac; flip front sight (pri or KAC on the rail)  I'll be using my preban lower with collapsable stock and clean 1stg trigger.  I want it somewhat mobile, but more of a slow fire, bipod prone precision instrument.  I want pretty little groups at 100yds and the occasional long shot out to whatever distance I can find 3-400?  (Quit moaning Marines, beyond that I'll go 7.62 or just call you):)  I know stock m4's and A2's are capable of reaching well beyond this, but I'm considering effective fragmentation range and possibly smaller targets than a human torso.  This project is firmly in the Hobby category guys, but that never stopped me from going as real-world as possible. (standards are a bitch!)

The SPR craze is definitely a motivator, but I want to be a little different.  I've always been a chrome-lined lightweight guy but am considering going the other direction.  I can't see myself humping this thing across the boonies, thats what m4's are for in my little world.  I don't want a boat-anchor useless bench-queen either.  It also needs to be threaded for a FS so I can retain the option of a QD sound suppressor off my CQB ar's.

My first instinct based on these requirements is a threaded stainless preban A2Gov profile with a shaved frntsite base or PRI.  Do these exist?  Any inputs are welcome.  If you don't enjoy replying to these posts you don't have to answer...I'm not to the desperate stage yet!  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#1]
An Oly SUM barrel is probably the best for the money and they'll cut to the size and profile you want if you're willing to pay.

I'd recommend an 18" intermediate contour if you're doing the SPR thing.  I've got a 20" HBAR that I plan on having cut to 18" and reprofiled to .75" under the handguards.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Most of the redily available stainless target barrels (RRA, DPMS, BM) are heavy and post ban with no muzzle device.  You could get one of these and have it turned down to the profile you want.

Your options for a pre-ban one are most likely limited to a custom barrel maker who will turn any profile you want and thread the muzzle.  Compass Lake Engineering did a sweet 18" Douglas for me that shoots 0.5 MOA if I am up to it.  Check out the "Competition and the Accurate AR" forum for more recommendations.

Georgia Precision had a barrel sale recently, they may have something too...

Link Posted: 9/27/2003 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm beginning to think that a good 'ol 20"a2 bbl would be sufficiently accurate if I do my part.  

What would you folks suggest as the most accurate government profile threaded bbl?
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had Diemaco C7 20" 1:7's do submoa.

My personal Colt 20" 1:7 A2 bbls do quite well, so shooting non high test match ammo it makes no real difference.

KAC FFRAS, PRI Front sight gas block and a Colt AR15A2 bbl should do you okay.

Link Posted: 10/3/2003 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I just assembled a 20in Colt 1/7 Gov. profile,freefloated it and removed the torqued on A2 hider and glued (loctited)it back on and this thing will shoot MOA all day long with Q3131a and Xm193.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have the money get a Krieger barrel.  They are best there is.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:02:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Got to agree with DevL, Kriegers have a good reputation.

But if you are on a budget, try the preban SS NM barrels from Armalite.  They shoot extremly well for $225.

Link Posted: 10/4/2003 3:46:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you have the money get a Krieger barrel.  They are best there is.
View Quote

knights sr-15 match. allready has a kriger in place and ready to go. same price as a blue lable 6700... of 10 months ago. sr-15 match's accuracy will not fluctuate with the market.

I'd buy one if I only could.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#9]
sr15 match uppers come in preban (threaded) form?
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 6:05:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
sr15 match uppers come in preban (threaded) form?
View Quote

I've never seen one that way, and I don't think the uppers are available separately.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top