Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2003 6:29:13 PM EDT
Please Help! This is my second Bushy upper I have tried to remove the tapper pins from. The first one I managed to destroy the FSB and never got them out and had to send it to Kurt.
This time I have the cupped punch from Brownells and have heated the base and still no luck!!!!!!!!! The puch just slides or bounces off the pin and mars the FSB. Yes I am hitting the small end. What else can I do?????????
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Not to sound like a wise guy, but hit it harder.  Make sure the barrel is properly supported, you are using a heavy enough hammer, and for god's sake watch your hands.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys for the help!
Still no luck. My cupped punch is now flat!
The barrel was on a nylon block on concrete and a brass hammer was used. I guess I will have to call Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Even more dwell?  Hey Wes, I saw a 10oz brass tipped DEAD BLOW hammer in my WIHA catalog - even better?
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 5:10:44 AM EDT
[#8]
put some "HEAT" on it !!!

in fact, run about 50 rounds thru that sucker as fast as you can OR put a propane torch to it, put it in the barrel vise, gripping it as close to the FSB as possible, then get a good grip with your punch & bash the hell out of it with one quick blow with a 20 ounce COPPER mallet, brass is good but copper is softer & as one member stated, "Dwell Time"...

some here will denounce the "heat", but if you ever read the stories of folks who just got to fire an AR as fast as possible to see where the breaking point is, they will tell you that barrel is so damn hot it will cause serious burns, that is the temp those pins just slide out when hit !!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top