Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2003 9:24:53 AM EDT
Perusing the September 20th SGN, there is an article reviewing Alexander Arms' new 6.5 Grendel rifle.  This round, based upon the PPC family, will drive a 120 grainer at around 2650 fps from a 24" barrel.  It also seems to be accurate.

One major downside for me is the price!  They did mention that upper will be available in the $1K range.  Another problem is that since the round is based upon the PPC, we are stuck with post-ban 10 rounders or some form of modified 7.62x39 magazine.

So, any thoughts?  Should we wait around for the 6.8x43mm project to materialize on the civilian market?  BTW, I thought someone was making an AK magazine dedicated lower?  Could this help solve the magzine problem?
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 10:09:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 3:53:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd just like to add that 6.8x43 will work in a standard M16 mag with a simple follower change. 28 rounds, I believe.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#3]
A big concern of mine is how much loaded ammo will cost for each of these rounds.  Also how does the .243 WSSM stack up against these two rounds?  I was told that factory winchester .243 WSSM will retail for about $17 per box of 20.  Perhaps a WSSM necked up to 6.5mm would be an ideal AR round.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#5]
TX65, Thanks for the informative reply.  I wish the outlook regarding normal cap mags was more optimistic.  Capn, I have also heard on this board that the 6.8x43 will use standard AR mags with minimal changes.  If it comes out, it sounds like TX65 will want to neck it down to 6.5!

The reason I keep dreaming about a 6.5mm AR is that I have recently become hooked on the 6.5x55.  I think that 6.5 is nearly the optimal bore diameter.  In addition, I like the ergonomics of the AR platform.  

IMHO, I see little use for a 10 round AR.  I could opt for the 6.5 Fireball/Whisper, yet it doesn't seem to have enough case capacity for supersonic use. Unless the AWB sunsets, I will probably end up getting a .260 in the AR10.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top