Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2003 3:12:05 PM EDT
Well Lumpy he goes...

In my quest to have the neatest kit on my block I have been trying to get different MWS handguards on different guns.

I was speaking with a buddy in Canada and he asked me if I had thought about doign a M/L FFRAS - I had not.  I email Wes Grant of MSTN - and asked him a couple of questions...
He thought it was feasible - so I figured I would give it a try - a used M/L FFRAS was acquired and here it is.
 It is not totaly done so the gas tube is not in it yet...

It was done by an armourer at work - my metal cutting ability is a little questionable and he loves to work on gun so...

I saw Chen's home paint job so I just had to.

Compared to the vanilla Armalite and a #58 SIR Midlength.

The actual work.

I defered to Greg's experience in where to cut.

And of course the Bayonet..

Link Posted: 9/12/2003 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#1]
SCHWEEET!  Looks great Kevin.

Exactly what I was thinking about doing.

Link Posted: 9/12/2003 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Lumpy,

I really like the extra usage rail you get too.

I am aware that Daniel Defence makes a similar factory job - but I have been well served by KAC gear and will pick KAC 9/10 times if I can.

Of course the TA31 on it was earmarked for another upper - so I have to either get another TA31 - or figure out what else to put on it.  Mind you the TA01NSN/Optima I have was for the SIR #58 but my M2 Aimpoint looks comfy on it - so...

Damn to many fricking choices
I love it/I hate it/I love it - AHAHAHAH

Link Posted: 9/12/2003 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#3]
No kidding.

Thats the project upper I plan on putting my TA31 on eventually.

I think
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#4]
WOW!  Excellent idea, and I'm with ya' on the 9/10 times KAC issue.  Just shows their stuff can adapt to just about anything you can come up with.  BTW, the paint job is quite nice as well!

Great post!
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Dammit, Im about to scrap my West Coast SAM A4 project for this.  Thats just too sweet.

Just confirming...thats an ARMALITE midlength, chrome lined with a pinned forged front sight??
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#6]
SWeet rifle!! I was thinking about a mid lenth kac for my M4 I was going to use a low profile gas block but now after seeing yours I cant decide damn new ideas!!! hehe!!
    FREE
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:55:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, this one is a Armalite 1:9 Chrome - with forged front sight gas block - taper pinned in.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#9]
SCHHHHWIIIIIIINGGGGGGG!!!!!
Kevin, was any cut off of the bottom front of the KAC? I'm guessin' not. O.K. maybe a little, can't tell. Thanks.....Chad
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Neat work; Truly one of a kind!  Factory tan Magpul?  I always wondered what it looked like on a weapon-  The MSTN ads always tempted me.

How did you punch in the rear pin for the front sight?  It looks like access to it is blocked.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 1:40:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey, that TA31 looks familiar. [;)]

Kevin, this is one reason I hate you, you keep putting these ideas in my head to spend more money.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 4:46:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Aaaargh, just when I run out of ideas to spend money on, you post this.  Next project please...

Looks great.

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:09:59 AM EDT
[#13]
[wow]

I've been planning a post-ban midlength project but after seeing these pictures I may have to build a pre-ban so I get a Magpul too!

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Kevin,

Looks awesome!!!  Gotta love that tan Magpul M93 and the KAC and ARMS set up.  How do you like the mid length barrels compared to the M4s?

I hope I'm not hijacking your thread, but I've got a couple of questions.  I plan on getting a 16" Armalite mid length, Armalite hasn't updated their website for a while and I can't down load their catalog.

Are all Armalite mid lenght barrels chrome lined?  Can you order them in preban configuration?  Do they come in any other profile other than the heavy barrel?  Would I have any problems mating an Armalite barrel up with a Bushmaster flat top upper (the reason I ask is because I've had problems matching up parts from different manufacturers in the past)?  Any help would be greatly appriciated

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
[wow]

I've been planning a post-ban midlength project but after seeing these pictures I may have to build a pre-ban so I get a Magpul too!

View Quote

I have a post ban Armlite M15A4 SOF and want to go with the ARMS #58 SIR but as of now they only offer it in the M version.  How difficult would this be for me to install myself?
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#16]
USMC03 It is a gov't profile bbl - not an HBAR.  Not sure I think they are all chrome lined - and came factory pre-ban.

I have four 14.5's too, but the more I have been shooting the midlengths the more I like them, and my M4's are collecting dust.  The 16" bbl gives very little away for an impressive increase in performance.
I have been lobbying our Cdn DPMS Distributor to have them lean on DPMS to make a 1:7 Chrome Lined 16" Midlengths - they appear to be the only compnay that might bend to that fact.  

Kisara, Yes Factory TAN Magpul - love it.
My trusty armorer did the work (I have been sick in bed and he is dying to build...)  The reason the top rail was cutback so far is to allow the rear taper pin to get placed then rotated on the FSGB into position.  

Green18 - M is very easy - dremel off the delta ring.  - Or remove the bbl and take it off normally.

Chen - yes looks great does it not...
 I blame your for my next (MRE) project too, so there!
:)

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Kevin you sucker! You stole my plan!!! [;)] I was planning to do the same thing to my new Bushmaster 16" HBAR... At least it would be the first one in Finland.

Prices of those damn parts are driving me nuts. Anybody want to buy my GF? [:D]

Very nice looking setups anyway.

MN
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a chance to see Kev's rifle all painted first hand it looks great!

Now I really have to trick out My M4gery
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 8:26:55 AM EDT
[#19]
BTW, CDNgunplumber is the one who did the work...
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 8:44:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Just yesterday acquired a new upper that I didnt even really need or want (long story). Was wondering what the heck I was going to do with it... this looks like it might be fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top