Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2003 11:24:09 PM EDT
I have decided to swap my  16" shorty  barrel  for a 20" and had a few questions.

Will I need to get a different buffer assembly? I heard somwhere, can't remember were, that the buffer assembly is different on a 16" and 20" and I'll need to get a new one for the 20" or risk damage.

Will I also need to get a new bolt for the new barrel? Everything is Bushmaster. I was told from Bushmaster that I wouldn't as long as I don't have more than 2,000 rds through the gun. I only have about 500 but I thought i'd get a second opinion from you all.

Thanks for your advice.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 3:51:48 AM EDT
[#1]
You will not have to change the buffer unless you are changing the stock from a CAR to  an A2.

A new bolt is not needed either.  If yours was badly worn it could possibly cause excess head space if your new barrel/chamber were on the deep side of acceptable specs.  But as new as your bolt is I would not worry.  The prudent thing to do would be to order a head space gauge and check after you rebarrel.  However I have never bothered and I am still alive.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 4:11:05 AM EDT
[#2]
However I have never bothered and I am still alive.
View Quote

While many here aspouse this philosophy, I suspect it comes from the cheapness of people in general. An upper without the b/bc/ch is cheaper than one with'em.

Personally I'd never recommend the above to anyone, less'en it was someone I disliked alot....

Always, recheck the headspacing when you swap barrels or bolts.

Being safe, is better'n being sorry,
Mike  
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#3]
When I was in basic training there were a lot of stupid people who probably mixed up bolts. I really think that this problem is rarely catastrophic.  

Sometimes I wonder how safe it is to put a barrel and bolt (that often come from different manufacturers) together period. The barrel wasn't headspaced to that particular bolt.  I just think that alone proves that the problem is more imagined that real.

[b]The headspace on most barrels people here buy is allready pre-set and the ext installed-- meaning for a perfect fit a properly sized bolt would be required IE many bolts with slightly different sizes to pick the right bolt for the barrel in mind. (something I don't really think exists on the market)[/b]

The military does a lot of unneccassary stuff :

Case in point the, allready carefully torqued, Castle nuts on my units new M4's are STAKED in place.  IE non-removeable.  That just seems a little overboaurd to me (what if a buffer tube gets bent? do they throw out the whole lower reciever?)

Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#4]
To be safe, I'd probably get a new bolt ($50).  You do not need the whole bolt carrier assembly.  Sell the old bolt with your 16" barrel; whoever buys it may want the old bolt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top