Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2003 7:36:19 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I'm probably gonna get a forward grip for my Bushy, and I'm gonna be honest, just because it looks cool. I fired some rounds through a decked out carbine once that had one, and I kinda liked the way it felt, but I can't help wondering: is there any ACTUAL purpose for forward grips aside from flashlight pressure switch use (I'm probably not gonna use a flashlight)??
Help sell me on these things! (yeah, like I need to be spending more money).
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Military guys train doing muzzle strikes and the foregrips help, but they do break eventually with hard strikes.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Increased leverage against muzzle-rise.

High-speed carbines tend to be front heavy  with accessories these days.  The verticle foregrip puts your wrist in a more natural position to support that weight comfortably.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
High-speed carbines tend to be front heavy  with accessories these days.
View Quote

Depending on how many accessories you have on the rails, you may not even have grabbing room left over for your hand on the rail.  In that case, a vertical grip is a necessity (unless you like holding the magwell with your offhand).  
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 10:05:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn fine point.  Ive had one for so long, I forgot I cant hold the forearm with my Surefire on it.

In theory, one could use the magazine well and achieve the same, but I feel the verticle grip is more natural.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Besides the fact that the magwell is attached to the lower and not the upper (the part you are trying to aim- if your weapon has any play this is a consideration.)

I've gotten M-16's hot and moved my hand there out of neccessity but it becomes a little harder to place accurate hits at 200 - 300meters without using a forearm.

Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Great. Thanks a lot guys! As soon as those new TangoDowns come out my bank account will lose some money. I hold all of you responsible! I had enough gun and ammo habits BEFORE I started playing with ARs.

Damn this website!!

[soapbox]

I gotta say, the idea of using it for "rifle whipping" never occured to me, and I find it kind of intriguing.

[pound]
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Besides the fact that the magwell is attached to the lower and not the upper (the part you are trying to aim- if your weapon has any play this is a consideration.)

I've gotten M-16's hot and moved my hand there out of neccessity but it becomes a little harder to place accurate hits at 200 - 300meters without using a forearm.

View Quote

I never considered a foregrip an aid to long range shooting.  I tend to go prone or find a barricadge for that, and the magazine well works just fine for those purposes.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#8]
The foward grip can also make a good monopod if you move it farther forward.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I never considered a foregrip an aid to long range shooting.  I tend to go prone or find a barricadge for that, and the magazine well works just fine for those purposes.
View Quote

I always thought it was somewhat bad form to use the mag well as a monopod of sorts?  After all, most agree that the aluminum mags on the AR styled rifles are a weak point, why stress it more than you need to?

Turby
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I always thought it was somewhat bad form to use the mag well as a monopod of sorts?  After all, most agree that the aluminum mags on the AR styled rifles are a weak point, why stress it more than you need to?

Turby
View Quote

That's another old wives tale.  The USGI mags are plenty strong enough to use a monopod and it will cause no problems with the rifle or the mag.

Link Posted: 9/12/2003 12:34:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Turby
View Quote

No, in fact a number of top notch instructors recommend it.  Ive yet to have a problem using it that way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top