Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2003 6:47:32 PM EDT
Been reading and researching for a railed handguard purchase.

Have a KAC RAS on the way that I had hope would let me push my EOTech 512 more forward. It seems I have a upper with a higher rail height and the RAS will sit a bit lower than the receiver rail.

I'm learning that all recievers are not the same height. I have measured rail height differences on two rifles, one a DPMS and the other a Knights. The difference is .031"or 1/32". Doesn't seem like much but it could be.

With a higher reciever the use of a optic that transitions the gap could have a problem and a setup like the KAC RAS II or SIR would bind and at some point could damage the upper or handguard.

Anyone know why and how this difference came about. How do the manufactors explan the difference?

Link Posted: 9/7/2003 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The KAC is to spec, the DPMS is not!
Jack
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I truly don't understand why ALL manufacturers don't follow spec when many systems require it.  Odd if you ask me but I am sure it's a cost issue!
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#3]
The others prob don't have to conform to specs because they don't sell to the government so they don't care, KAC, ARMS and the like do.  Just guessing.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Are RRA A4 uppers to spec?
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are RRA A4 uppers to spec?
View Quote

I believe they are now.  I heard they picked up a government contract to one of the ferderal agencies.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#6]
My DPMS A3 upper rails are not to spec.  They are about 1/16" too high.  I compared it to a couple of other uppers, and its visibly higher.  I always thought DPMS was a good company, but after this and the fact that their customer service stinks (the upper had an off center FSB, and they told me that if I sent it back to them, they would "be happy to quote me a price"...uh, no thanks), I don't think I'll buy another.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it one of their extruded uppers? They have a note somewhere saying they are a little taller (I think).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top