Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2003 11:15:10 AM EDT
www.crane.navy.mil/supply/03r4822/03R4822_SPEC.pdf
..sorry I couldn't find the original thread talking about the SCAR or I would have posted this there.  This is an interesting read- I noticed there isn't any explicit mention of 6.8mmx43 here the way there was in the SCAR powerpoint link posted on here a while ago. (they do refer to experimental ammunition developments though..)
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting!  Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm,

A lot less info than a paper that was out 6-8 months ago with the SOF Rifle (had not jumped to SCAR yet?) in the L a H versions...

Link Posted: 9/7/2003 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hmmm,

A lot less info than a paper that was out 6-8 months ago with the SOF Rifle
View Quote

30 plus pages of it.  with 6.8 mentioned as one of the required cartridge.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 1:33:49 PM EDT
[#4]
The time frames they put forth don't seem to allow for anything especially innovative in this "new" weapon system.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#5]
QUICK

I think COTS is part in parcel like the MDNS

Most of Industry has had several months if not a year min. of heads up.

Entrants to the best of my knowledge

Robson Arms
KAC
LMT
PRI
ARMS
Colt
FN
H&K
Armalite

and probably a few I don't know of.

Link Posted: 9/7/2003 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I see a few specs that rule out a conventional AR-15.  Here are the specs I caught in a quick overview, I paraphrased them:

3.2.1.8.3  Be able to charge the weapon while maintaining sight picture

3.2.3.1.1 Must be to fire weapon with a bore obstruction with out it blowing into pieces.

3.2.4.3.1 and .2 Be able to get water out of the bore without opening the bolt.  Not sure these requirments can be met with any rifle in 5.56.

Seems the AR-15/AR-10 has an advantage as far as parts compatibility between the L and H.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Ekie,

I think that the KAC and/or LMT 2nd Gen Bolt versions 'might' allow for the last two issues...

Using which optic will be the determining issue on
3.2.1.8.3 Be able to charge the weapon while maintaining sight picture
View Quote

This depends if charge is cycle or simply enage the bolt catch...
The bolt ctahc is a no brainer, however using a PRI GasBuster CH it is possibile (awkward - but possible) to cycle the gun weak hand while one arming it on tgt with a red dot sight. I don't doubt it would be possible with some of the ambi Cocking Handles out there.

Link Posted: 9/8/2003 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting read. I'm a bit surprised by the requiremenrts for ambedextrious mag and bolt releases.

I have had bolt mag catches and bolt releases break before. Making them ambedextrious will increase the failure rate IMO
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 1:07:20 AM EDT
[#9]
[i](O), a 60 round magazine not to exceed the length of the current in-service magazine [/i]

So they want (as an objective) a 60 round mag... makes sense but let me pose a question (less anyone not know, anything with a T is required, anything with an O is desired):

Would this end up being something like the beta mag? Or could you design something about the same size as a normal 30 rounder, but say double the width?

Link Posted: 9/9/2003 8:29:57 AM EDT
[#10]
T = Threshold = Minimum Acceptable Standard = We won't accept something without it.
O = Objective = Ideal Standard = This is our wish list.  We won't hold you to it necessarily, unless competiting entries also  exceed the Threshold.

As to the 60rd magazine, I know that L. James Sullivan has previously proposed a 4-column magazine for STANAG 4179 magwells.  In principle, it would be similar to 50rd designs used in 9mm SMGs sunch as the Suomi and Sites Spectre.  

For a few years now, the Russians have been playing with a 4-column 60rd magazine design for their family of 5.45x39mm weapons:  the AK74, the RPK74, and even the AN94.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 11:08:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like a FAL could be made to meet such requirements......just need to make ambidextrious safety, bolt catch, and add a right side cocking knob. There's a guy on the FALFiles who makes a quick change barrel.....and they've been made in 5.56, 7.62x39, and of course 7.62, as well as .300 WSM. The 6.5 cartridge would be easy.

Tim
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top