Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2003 7:25:51 AM EDT
I've been looking at the JP Enterprises catalog online.  They have some neat looking stuff.  As a lefty, I'm particularly intrigued with their Southpaw Lo-Pro upper receiver and left handed bolts.  Has anybody had any experience with these?  The rail height is supposedly higher than the mil-spec standard...does this present any problems?
Also, what about their adjustable gas blocks?  Good, bad or so-so?  Any downsides to having an adjustable gas block (e.g. gas setting changing inadvertently)?
How's about their free floating handguards?  Anybody used these?  Or their barrels?
In short, I'd like to hear from all you who have used JP parts and accessories.  Mine would be a large order of various parts, so some feedback might save me alot of aggravation beforehand.  Thanks fellas.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#1]
JP was the main sponsor of the Rocky Mountain 3Gun match in Raton last month.   They had a table of demo rifles.   I was VERY impressed by the quality  of their rifles and I spoke to John himself about some of the options.

Everyone I've spoken to about JP stuff says it's first rate, and they're great to work with.

As for the gas block, the main purpose is to turn down the gas to just what you need (plus some margin) so you can reduce the jolting of recoil a little bit-- it helps on those 40 yard double-taps.    I think you could just lock-tite the adjustment screw once you've got it set right.

-z
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#2]
By the way, I didn't see the south-paw receiver or bolt in their catalog -- where do you see it?
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#3]
No dustcover on the southpaw.  That is un-impressive.  3-gun tactical shooters might get there guns a little dirty.  Ar's really don't like to function with dirt in the action.

JP is ecellent quality.  They have a lot of inovative stuff.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#4]
JP's guns designed for 3Gun (e.g. the new CTR-02) don't have the dustcover, either.

In the context of 3Gun competition, a dustcover won't help much.   Your AR is either:

1. in its case.  
2. on the rack / somewhere with the muzzle up and bolt locked back with the cover open for safety.
3. shooting the stage.   the dustcover would be open anyway.

-z
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a rifle built using the JP Enterprises Grade 1 upper, had it a little over 5 years now.

I remember fiddling with the gas block a bit when I first got it then finally I just left it be, I set it to be reliable with the softest shooting low pressure round I might use then pretty much left it at that.    There's a little bit of increased recoil if I use hotter rounds but that's about it.

The gas block is first rate as far as machine work and finish go.

The handguard, it's aluminum and SOAKS up heat from both the sun as well as rapid fire.    To deal with the fact that it conducts heat so well I went and wrapped my handguards in 550 paracord.    Definitely improved the general uncomfort of a metal handguard(got real hot in summer sun and real cold during winter).   Plus I managed to much improve the overall shape and feel of the tube, area where the twist pattern is raised forward on the handgrip is actually a pinch point for thumb on one side and index finger on the other side to promote consistent grip.   The custom knife grip inspired 1/2 twists fall nicely under the joints of the fingers and are an improvement in my opinion.

Here's the link to pics of the rifle....
[url]http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/jpar/jpar.html[/url]

I think JP Enterprises gets a fair amount of parts from DPMS.   DPMS is like the only supplier I know of for lefty uppers and bolts, I wouldn't be surprised one bit and if you asked John he'd probably admit as much.    Order off their mail catalog, you'll probably find a LOT of stuff in it that isn't on the website.

I know when I ordered my upper that I was a little let down when I learned there was more to it than was offered on the webpage.    At the time I ordered my rifle they had this really kick ass and wicked looking SOF and SOF2 upper that also came with a harmonic dampener to help tune the rifle to a load(like the BOSS II setup on Weatherby and Brownings).
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I have used the JP gas blocks and triggers.  They are of excellent quality.  With the gas blocks I have just set them up and used locktite blue on the adjustment screw.  Works for me.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 7:51:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Clarification and apologies are in order: the Lo-Pro southpaw receiver is from DPMS.  The gas block, handguards, barrels and triggers I've been looking at are from JP.
My thought is to create a a "lefty" upper using the DPMS Lo-Pro upper mated to free floating handguards and adjustable gas block from JP.
Sorry for the confusion.  That's what happens when you stare at catalogs for too long....one big blur.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top