Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2003 8:09:24 AM EDT
I have a preban 6700 that I've free floated and I don't seem to be getting very consistent results.  I'm wondering what kind of accuracy potential any others out there have seen from their chrome lined colt barrels.  I need to upgrade my trigger, and I'm not totally sure that the inconsistencies are in the barrel, it may be my technique, but I really don't think so.  Anyway....any suggestions?  Also...if I don't get what I want from this barrel I'm thinking of upgrading to a stainless bull barrel....DPMS or Oplympic?
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a 6601 thats been freefloated and it hovers 1/2MOA @100M all day long. It'll keep 69 and 77 Grain SMKs in 1.5-2MOA groups out to 500M if I do my part...

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Kicker,

The accuracy you'll get out of your barrel will depend largely on:

1) your barrel
2) your ammo selection
3) you doing your part

Your barrel is probably A-Okay.  I don't know what kind of ammo you're using, but mil-surplus ammo is going to give you pretty poor results.  As far as doing your part behind the rifle, a better trigger will always help an AR as factory triggers are usually bad-very bad.  My Colt has a pretty bad trigger as it came from the factory and it definitely affects how well I shoot that rifle.  Also, are you shooting from a rest, sandbags, other, or offhand?  If you're rifle isn't in a rest and you're not an accomplished rifleman, your groups WILL tend to open up.  Iron sites or glass?

Josh
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the same barrel, 1/9 twist.  When I shoot Federal 69 grain BTHP it shoots fantastic.  When I shoot the 55 grain mil-spec, it shoots like 55 grain mil-spec.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 7:27:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I suppose some more information would have been in order in the first post...lol.  I was shooting 68 and 75 Black hills match, bipod, prone and off the bench.  I'm leaning toward it being my trigger letoff...at 200 yards I had 3 shots almost touching, two other shots were 2 inches high left.  I think that the 2 high left shots were the first hand chambered round and the last hand chambered round, I had a jam and fired the last round after clearing it....these 2 went into about an inch.  SO....I'm pretty sure the accuracy potential is there.  I ordered a Jewell 2 stage this afternoon, so I'm looking forward to getting it installed and trying it again.  Better glass will be the next item of improvement and then an ops inc brake if the trigger helps like I think it will.  Thanks all for the info.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 7:48:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Make sure you are not canting the rifle while grouping.  At 200 yards a slight cant will cause double grouping like you are seeing.  At 500 yards, you will wonder what the hell is going on.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok...thanks BigBore...I might very well be doing that..I'll watch myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top