Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2003 10:26:12 PM EDT
Has anyone gotten a chance to check out Armalite's new rail system? They claim the benefit of their system is that it's 2-piece, allowing you to simply exchange handguards. Personally I'm not keen on punching out my front sight block after RRA just put it all together (simple gas block okay, but not a front sight), and the lack of free floating doesn't bother me so I'm seriously looking at this.

www.armalite.com/sales/specials/New%20Product/Rail%20Adapters/Rail%20Adapters.htm

I'd like to hear if anyone has experiences with this yet before I drop cash at my dealer's. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks heavy and bulky. Also, it doesn't allow a M203. It does look better then the GG&G handguard.

ls
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 10:35:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Well that's just a 3D CAD drawing (and is a LOT smaller on Armalite's site! Whoops...). It's certainly less bulky than an ARMS #58 I think. Furthermore, I don't have the $3000 to drop on an M203 so that's not a great concern for me either. I was considering the #58 for a while and was in fact why I chose a midlength upper, but after seeing its relative size I started to look for something smaller (I also didn't want to start taking stuff apart). The Knight's RAS series would be perfect but they don't make one in a midlength config. Looks like Armalite's product should fit the bill.

On a related interesting note, M203 40mm grenade launchers are unrestricted items in Canada. You can buy one across the counter, no paperwork needed, because they fall outside the legal definition of a firearm (muzzle velocity <500 fps). [:D]
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 3:05:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a direct ripoff of the KAC RAS. Is it even midlength? For the record, if the Armalite handguard is the same width as the RAS, the #58 SIR will be just a tad bit more thin.

The new PRI handguard is another choice, as is the KAC (or Daniel Defense) long-mid FFRAS w/ the KAC rail-mounted front sight. I believe the OlyArms FIRSH can even be fitted for midlength use, although I may be mistaken.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 5:59:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Well I just had Kurt install his FFH on my M4orgery so a free float system is out. So is a RAS/RIS at such high prices. But this looks like a viable option! Wonder if it accepts Knights panels, would imagine so.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I spoke with a sales rep at Armalite today and he informed me these would be out around the end of October (too long to wait! WAAAH! [>(]). The carbine length will be for midlength configs while the rifle config fits standard A2 lengths. Eventually they will be releasing the more common short handguard length.

Apparently, by reversing the top and bottom halves of this RAS you can fit it to either an AR-15 OR an AR-10, by virtue of the fact that one rail is slightly taller than the other to match the AR-10's higher receiver profile. The cuts won't be RAS numbered though. I can't wait!
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#6]
If the Free float version of this will fit and function on my SR 25 I'll the happiest antisocial misfit on the block.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top