User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2003 10:54:50 AM EDT
Especially at 20" length.

Thanks

CRC
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#1]
The HBAR is going to heat up slower and retain heat lots longer.

Define 'better'.

Either rifle is going get hot after a few magazines worth of ammo. I think I read the substained rate of fire for the AR is 20 rounds a minute. You'll burn your hands on either rifle before you start to damage the barrel.

I use to run HBARs but now like the lighter pencil profile barrels. Running a 100 rounds though the thing in a minute will heat the thing up but letting it sit for a few minutes cools it back down.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#2]
The BM catalog says they sell HBARS cause they are better during full auto or rapid fire and aleviate barrel whip.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I like my HBAR for full auto shooting the best of any uppers, the extra mass holds much better.  Makes the M16 shoot nearly like a subgun (a heavy one but stays on target).

Do grant the M4 is a little cooler looking and carries easier.

Regards
John
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, they are better for rapid fire. They walk less. I have an A1 barrel and when I get home from shooting it is still hot as hell.

For the other guy Im doing this with out a dictionary.

better. Its an adjetive. Antonym of worse. In this case, better is being used to compare the effectivness of rapid fire and maintaining accuracy.

GG
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The barrel don't care how heavy or light it is, only you do.  As far as accuracy, the weight has little to do with that also!  The most important thing you can do if you want an accurate AR (Slow fire or in the Rapids) is to free float the barrel.  After free floating, the quality/type of reamer used in cutting the chamber throat makes the difference.  Good quality barrels (not allways the most expensive)finished by a good gunsmith with a quality reamer (The AR 'smith's have it down to about 2 or 3 reamers that work really well)will produce an upper that will shoot "cleans" all day long on the SR target at 200 yards under match conditions with most ANY ammo.  You could have a rifle built with a skinny A1 profile barrel Free-Floated, and the weight would be about the same as an H-BAR.  FYI:  Some people like to put extra weight under the handguards to keep the gun on the target longer in the Rapid Fire Stages, Our Infantry Trophy guns have ALL KINDS of lead every where to keep the muzzle down, but the extra weight has nothing to do with the inherent accuracy of the gun, the weight only helps control the muzzle rise.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Some people bitch about a pound of barrel. Yes, it is heavier, but too heavy, is up to the operator. Some people can only carry plastic and aluminum.
GG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top