Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2003 2:56:22 PM EDT
Does anybody have excperience with this handguard? If so please post you likes and dislikes. Looking to get 4rail freefloat handguards for my rifle but can't afford much. I thought the c-more looked like it might cool faster than the oly firsh due to the higher number of vents. any input is appreciated! Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Alum gets hot very fast. If you try to hold an alum rail, it can burn the hands. If your weapon doesn't get that hot do to low amount of firering, the alum notches will hurt the hand. If you cover the alum rail with a panel the alum notches won't hurt the hand, but then the heat going into the alum can't cool very good since you covered and trapped the heat. If you are going to shoot rapid fire, then the panels will protect the hands to a point and then the panels can finely get too hot, and a forward pistol grip is needed. If you go to a non alum hand guard with vents then you are less likely to have the above problems. If you figure out what type capabilities and shooting you want to do, then you can compare ability's of a rail system to what your buying one to do in the first place. Your on the right track with a Free Float.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Same problem which Oly's FIRSH run into during New-ARGuy's test and to boot the C-More is a much heavier unit.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 6:51:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one and like it okay.  I've run it through a couple of carbine course and never had a problem with heat, but i don't shoot fullauto either.  I don't know why but i don't seem to get the issues that some people due on heat transfer etc.  Rapid firing in a nonstandard response doesn't cause me any big heating problems.

One thing i don't like about it is the HG is not indexed in a way to prevent it from rotating so i won't use it for optics or a vertical grip.  I've used mine for mounting a light and my forward sling point and it has been dandy for that.

You will need to remove the front sight base and replace the barrel nut with the new one so if you have a permanently attached muzzle thingy it could be a problem.

FWIW i'm replacing it with a RAS II unit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a FIRSH installed on my carbine.  The heat problem is there, but not so much as to be too uncomfortable, though I only put panels where I grip the handguard so that the rest of the area can help it cool.  The FIRSH is indexed by a set screw on the bottom of the tube and I've not had a problem with torqueing the tube out of center even with a vertical foregrip on there.  Never tried the C-more, but I didn't get one because I felt that the FIRSH can do everything the C-More can, but at a better price.

Ghost

Link Posted: 9/2/2003 3:53:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a C-More Quadrail on my AR right now. It's one of the early ones with the non-mil spec rails. It's worked fine so far and heat doesn't seem to be much of a problem though I don't have anything else to compare it to. I don't use KAC rail panels. Instead I put on some low profile Ergo rail covers (they looks like little ladders).

For $125, a Quad Rail's not bad but if I learned one thing from owning one - always buy what the "real" guys use. In this case, KAC or and ARMS SIR. I've got a KAC FF RAS on order right now that's going onto a new Bushmaster upper. The C-More will probably stay on the upper it's currently on just so I have a spare upper ready to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top