Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2003 6:18:46 PM EDT
how is your muzzle attached. one person told me he could press it on what is best.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple of Wilson Combat brakes on my rifles.  You need to either thread the barrel, or use a preban barrel.  You screw the brake on over a peel washer or crush washer and then mark the spot where the hole is in the brake.  Drill the spot into the barrel (carefully).  Reattach the brake, drive in the roll pin, and weld over the blind pin.  Then grind it smooth with your dremel, and hit it with some Brownell's Oxpho-Blue.  The pin is indexed on the bottom of the brake, so you can barely see where it is blind pinned.  This satisfies the BATF requirement for having a threaded barrel.  It's really not that big of a job.  A gunsmith shouldn't charge you over about $25 for the install.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 9:41:14 AM EDT
[#2]
$25 for an already threaded barrel.  $150 to turn a barrel down, thread it and install the brake in a legal manner.  I have a Bushy superlight that I want a brake installed on, but I am reluctant to until Sept 04 just in case I can get a GI or Vortex.  Plus, I abhor spending $150 on the install and having my upper out of my control for 3 weeks.  (anyone have a lathe in North GA?)
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#3]
You shouldn't need a lathe to thread the barrel.  I guess that would depend on the diameter.  $150 sounds a little steep.  You might want to check with KKF.  I think that he can take care of you faster and cheaper than $150 in labor and three weeks wait.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top