Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2003 9:14:02 AM EDT
I am researching stocks for an AR project and I would appreciate any comments pro/con on this stock set. TIA
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Do a search for ARFX, this has been discussed often.  The stock is made by Ace ([url]http://www.riflestocks.com[/url]) but DSArms has it cheapest [url]http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=ACEARFX&storeid=1&image=ar15skeletonstock.gif[/url]
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks, will do
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one on my Bushmaster M4. I like it very much. It is very sturdy and much more comfortable than any of the tele stocks I have used.

I'm not sure I would trust the stock sling swivels. They have shown no signs of failure but I just don't care for them. I intend to switch to a single point sling using a GG&G single point adaptor.

I don't know how the neoprene tube wrap would hold up in a combat environment. It is a non issue for me. I don't anticipate going into combat any time soon!

I've been very pleased with mine. It is much better than the fixed tele stock that are out now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Saw an AR somewhere in AR15.com where the guy left the neoprene cover off and wrapped that area with paracord.  Looked real nice.  Thinking of trying it on my M4.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 11:36:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I just bought the Bushmaster modular carbine (like the anniversary edition but without the chrome) that came with the ACE stock. I haven't shot it yet, but so far my opinion is a bit mixed. I personally don't really care for the way it looks, but then again, the original ar15 stock ain't all that great looking either. Supposedly it deadens the sound of the buffer spring which I'm very interested in, as I've always been annoyed by that sound. The only thing though, that I might seriously dislike is the rubber butt pad I think will grab at clothing, especially when mounting from a tactical sling ready position. I will report back when I have shot the rifle, and then again after I have taken the tactical carbine class I'm taking in October; these are just my first impressions. I have to say though, that pretty much everybody I've shown it to has been impressed with the stock.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 12:31:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The only thing though, that I might seriously dislike is the rubber butt pad I think will grab at clothing, especially when mounting from a tactical sling ready position.
View Quote

You can unscrew the rubber buttpad and use the ARFX without it.  The metal buttplate on the stock is machined for this purpose.

Also, removing the pad brings the stock to A1 length, which I feel is ideal.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 10:08:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You can unscrew the rubber buttpad and use the ARFX without it.  The metal buttplate on the stock is machined for this purpose.

Also, removing the pad brings the stock to A1 length, which I feel is ideal.

Chris
View Quote

Dang, I didn't realize that; thanks man, I'll try it both ways.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info guys. I am not new to M16s, just haven't played much with tricked out ARs.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok,
I finally got to the range and put a couple hundred rounds through the sucker. My first finding was that the buffer spring noise was not deadened even remotely. However, my last AR had a muzzle brake and this one doesn't; so it's possible there was just more muzzle noise on the last one to detract from the buffer spring noise.

I left the rubber butt plate on because I didn't feel like digging through my stepdad's tools trying to find the right screwdrivers for the two totally different screws in the stock (don't ask me why they did that). However, I found that I liked the way it felt with it on there, it was easier to hold in my shoulder than my last one that didn't have one. I'll probably try it the other way someday though for the heck of it.

Overall I'm ok with the stock, probably won't change it out. The neoprene sleeve will probably have a sweat stain on eventually though.

[heavy]
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 3:09:08 AM EDT
[#10]
My new Bushy came with the skeleton stock.  First: In a postban setup I think it may be the best thing I’ve seen.  Second: If the AWB sunsets I will probably still keep this one on the rifle.  Conclusion I really like it.

Now that being said; there are three sling mount points on this stock right and left behind the receiver and one at the toe of the butt.  Mounting it on the right side totally blocks the forward assist “Very Bad Idea”, left is OK but is in the way of the selector, leaving the butt as the best option for not completely screwing yourself in a jam.  Looks cooler on the side but works better on the butt.  “Just an opinion”.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:49:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been using a couple of them for about a year. It is a great stock. Tough as nails. I also like the shorter feel of the stock, and I use mine without the rubber pad. I never had a problem with the neoprene cover, but I did wrap one of mine in 550 cord, just to do it. Mine is just a smooth wrap, I don't ahve the talent to do one of the braided jobs.

As mentioned above, get the DSArms it is cheapest, @ $89 I think. Bushmaster wants $119 last time I looked. They want even more if you want a buffer and extension.

Anyway, great stock!
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:01:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
left is OK but is in the way of the selector,
View Quote

Not if you use a single point sling.  [wave]
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:51:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I have the LE length stock.  Love it.  Most comfortable stock out of all the ones I've tried.  I didn't like the way they looked at first, but they have grown on me.

No problems with any part of the stock through about 300-400 rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top