Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2003 1:38:38 PM EDT
I've been thinking about a DCM rifle and/or Varmit rifle, and am concerned about what I'm reading about the short life of SS barrels.  Some of the posts have stated that most DCM SS barrels are only good for 3000-4000 rounds before they start shooting flyers.  Why such a short lifespan?  I've also seen chrome moly in the same category.  

Any feedback from SS owners would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#1]
As a highpower shooter myself and owner of SS barrels, let me explain a bit. First of all barrel life is very, very subjective. Depending on loads, cleaning, barrel make, rifling type and how you shoot there are many, many things that influence barrel life. The accuracy requirements of highpower usually dictate replacing a barrel when in other types of shooting or plinking, you would not replace it. What the average HP shooter looks for is flyers at 600 yards or off call shots. Even then the barrel may be fine for reduced course matches and/or practice. What most do is to keep two uppers, one for matches and one for practice. Take the "shot out" barrel and make it your practice upper. Generally speaking SS barrels will last longer than chrome moly barrels. Cut rifled barrels will last longer than button rifled barrels. Where the SS does better than CM is in the throat area. The throats tend to wear faster and with a rougher area than SS barrels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top