Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2003 10:59:54 AM EDT
I just bought a Bushy 14.5 and sent it over to Gemtech to permanently attach a bilock.  My question is how should one go about removing the existing sling swivel on the bottom of the rifle, just behind the bayonet lug?  I figured it would work to punch it out, but my gunsmith said that we might have to drill it?

Any suggestions, I only use the side sling adapters.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I hear ya!  I just cut it off with some very small farrier nail cutters carefully so as not to mangle the sight tower, etc.  I am sure there is a better way but did'nt want to buy any new tools at the time.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#2]
A small punch and a hammer will take it right out without any trouble.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A small punch and a hammer will take it right out without any trouble.
View Quote

And putting the pin back in the hole will insure you have it when you decide to replace the swivel.

Link Posted: 8/18/2003 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Listen to Troy. The rivet is fairly soft and easy to punch out with a nail set or even a finish nail. Most times the rivet end doesn't peal off and it can be used again.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Weird, I didnt have a rivet, I had a roll pin in mine.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I have never seen a roll pin in one, just rivets that captivate both ends. Who made the one you have?
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Weird, I didnt have a rivet, I had a roll pin in mine.
View Quote

I've had two barrels that had the sling loop, and front sight base, held with roll pins.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#9]
After further review...NONE of mine have rivets. ALL have pins.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:46:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I did a quick inventory.

Every bbl that has/had a sling swivel had a rivet...

Colt
DPMS
Armalite
Bushmaster
Diemaco (not mine unfortuanetly...)

I have taken them off anyone that came with it - but I used a drill and removed the rivet head slowly.

Looking back on it it woudl have been easier and less of a chance to damage the upper using a hammer and punch.  

Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Troy
Not to steal this thread, but you have a garage? what color is it, how many doors, what did it cost, is it easy to opperate compared to brand X? :)
Jack
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 5:20:21 PM EDT
[#13]
[lolabove]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Cordless Dremel.  Just enough on one end of the rivet to pull it out.  After keeping the rivet for years (packrat!), I finally threw it away while cleaning out the garage of cluttered junk.  Didn't free up much more space, but I figured if I hadn't used it by now, I never will.
[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/kisara/LazyGarageWalkerLOL.jpg[/img]  
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:49:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I used to buy model 1 sales uppers before I cared about chrome plating and knew the difference between A2 and a1 parts

They use roll pins A-1 posts cast front sight towers a-1 FH's and lock washers instead of peel or crush washers.  It sounds like no bigge but actually you probably will replace the FH and front post and that alone costs $16. Almost enough to buy a better chrome lined barrel and cheap upper and parts and assemble yourself braking even with a lot higher quality product.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#17]
For awhile, the swivels on the front of my side sling mounted M4geries have irritated me.  So, I got a hammer, the right sized punches, and six whacks later, no swivels on either M4gery.  Thanks for the thread.  This was easier than falling off a barstool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top