Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2003 6:58:23 PM EDT
Looking for the ups and downs of the RASII.  Will it work with EOtech?  Can you mount a regular scope + ARMS#40 with it?

Thanks

Tex78
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Pros:
No weapon mods except Hand Guard removal
It is rock solid
It is light
It isn't overpriced
It FF's the barrel
ACOGS mount
EO's mount
flip sights all compatible

Cons:

That bump on top of the reciever (mostly asthetic.)

That's all I can think of here.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#2]
If you go with a RAS II and ARMS 40 you can not mount a PVS-4 NVD mounted to an ARMS 20. This was the only reason I went with a SIR 50 instead of the RAS II.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Downsides include that it is all aluminum and is covered with rails that much be covered with pannels. Aluminum handgaurds get very, very hot. They are uncomfortale to touch. Covering them with pannels sheilds your hands from them, but also restricts airflow and cooling, and ads width to the overall circumference of the handgaurds.

I agree with all the advantages listed above and would ad that because the RAS II leaves most of your flat top rails available, you can mount ACOGs at their propper and intended height.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#4]
How does the RAS II compare to standard dbl heat shield handguards in terms of size and the heat issue? Even though the aluminum gets hot does the addition of a fwd vertical grip overcome this problem?
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#5]
The limited testing I have done so far has all the RAS's, SIR's etc doign better than the M4 or CAR plastic handguards for heat...
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 10:39:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Does the RAS II allow for the EOTech to be mounted over the receiver and still co-witness the iron sights?  It looks like it would be raised above the irons, and that you would have to scout mount it in order to co-witness.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:34:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I know the 552/512 won't work on the receiver itself with the RAS II, as the hump prevents it from mounting.  I am not sure of the 551/511, though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:06:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I amk fairly sure the only place to sucesffuly mount an EoTech on the RAS II and still be able to use a BUIS and acheive co-witness would be over tha barrel on the handgaurd rail.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:20:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I amk fairly sure the only place to sucesffuly mount an EoTech on the RAS II and still be able to use a BUIS and acheive co-witness would be over tha barrel on the handgaurd rail.
View Quote

Which I believe, just looking from pictures, could make hitting the buttons on the EoTech a slight pain.

Maybe not
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#10]
A very slight pain.  Not really noticeable.  I use Aimpoint with RASII personally and an EO on another flat top carbine FF RAS.  Mainly because I don't like my red dots way way out there which will happen with the RASII EOTECH combo.  Much like the SIR 50(?) in that regard. I think the RAS II pros are considerable compared to the cons.

Forgot to mention the EOTECH 551 will not mount between a #40 and the RASII bridge.  The 551 is about 4 1/2" and the space between buis and hump is about 4".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top