Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/12/2003 11:25:38 PM EDT

TangoDown grip with Surefire M951SU, notice the pressure pad recess into the slot on the grip.

TangoDwon grip with the fill in place, just in case you don't have a light mounted on your gun or if you are using the tailcap pushbutton momentary switch.

Surefire pressure pad next to the TD forward grip with out the filler.

Another close of of the TD grip.

My rifle with the TD grip

TangoDown product is tested and approved by the girls at Hooters.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:36:52 PM EDT
[#1]
OH HELL YEAH!  I WANT ONE.

Ok, the grip is cool too [;)]
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:45:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Excellent pictures!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:26:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:45:33 AM EDT
[#4]
SMGLee,How does the grip attach to the RAS?Thanks.SJR556.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 5:05:00 AM EDT
[#5]

As always excellen info and pics![;)]

Thanks Chen!

BTW, does it really feel sturdy enough to handle muzzle strikes without breaking?  How does durablility compare with the Dieter CQD grip?

Oh and show some pics of the storage compartment too!
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 5:13:54 AM EDT
[#6]
There's a Hooter's in Pasadena? When did that happen?

Great pictures.

ls
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 5:14:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How does durablility compare with the Dieter CQD grip?
View Quote

Actually, IMHO, I want a plastic grip that will give way on a [b]hard[/b] hit as opposed to a metal grip.  Id rather lose my foregrip than damage a portion of whatever expensive rail system Im running.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:47:28 AM EDT
[#8]
great pics, chen.  i'll post a link to more pics with additional views shortly, to add to chen's.
SJR - the grip slides onto the rail and locks via spring loaded twin locking bars, which you push down while sliding it on, then release to lock the grip in place.
yojimbo, lumpy - this grip is pretty solid, and might not give way before the rail system, but at least it doesn't transmit heat to your hand, or have a finish to scratch/wear off.
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 7:20:18 AM EDT
[#9]
MM,

Thanks for the details!  I look forward to checking out your pics too!

BTW, I know retail is suppose to be about $60, but will the street price be?  Also who will be stocking these in September?

Link Posted: 8/13/2003 7:38:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks like a well thought out product.  I wish they would have put in the little grooves to run the wiring like the Dieters.  I like the pressure pad mounting without all the ghetto attachment methods.  (all of which work fine, just bug me)

Spring loaded locking bars?  Like an Insight Light?  Is there ANY play with grip on the rail?  Thanks for the post.  We were waiting for pics like a pack of wolves.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 7:48:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Since the slot for the pressure switch is grooved for the pad, the pad sits securely inside the slot and then the bottom cap is secrew in and it keeps the pad inside.  no wiring or velcro is needed to keep the pad securely attach to the grip.

There is one minor problem with the slot, the older Surefire switch pad will be a bit narrow which will not secure into slot. a double side tape or the velcro attachment will be need it if you have the older Surefire light.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I can't see the pictures! [:(]  Did they disappear?
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 7:56:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Pics no worky.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 7:58:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There is one minor problem with the slot, the older Surefire switch pad will be a bit narrow which will not secure into slot. a double side tape or the velcro attachment will be need it if you have the older Surefire light.
View Quote

Or 1" O-rings from the local hardware store.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Chen, how much does it weigh? My KAC is 2.5 ozs while the Dieter is 7ozs. Please be closer to the KAC. Thanks.....Chad
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Pics are back up.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:16:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Chen, how much does it weigh? My KAC is 2.5 ozs while the Dieter is 7ozs. Please be closer to the KAC. Thanks.....Chad
View Quote

It is not heavy at all, I did not have a chance to weight the grip but it is closer to the KAC then it is to the Dieter.  This TD grip really put the Dieter grip in its place.  First of all, it is not made of Aluminum so it weight much less and it doesn't act as a heat sink. second, the grip has the slot with grooves for the light switch where as the Dieter has only a flat surface which you still require to use the velcro tapes and too much movement on the grip will torn the tape switch right off. third, the grip is not sloted like the dieter, since Dieter nned the slot to cool the grip and reduce weight, the slot is a big dirt collector. Forth the Dieter has a decent mounting system but the twin cross bar locking system which is much like the M3 system but with a much tougher material and the spring loaded stainless steel tap under the crossbar will not rust even with sea water. this grip stays on solid and with no movements.  the end cap can be removed for storage such as a bolt and a firing pin. and it is water tight down to 200ft.  the end cap is held by a polymer wire so you would never loose it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd like to know how in the hell a picture of my wife got in this thread?  [8D]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#19]
A little detail of the mounting system,

It has two channle cut across the width of the grip, under the channel locates the stainless steel tap that is sea water proof. above the SS tap sits two cross bar made of high strength plastic which is so strong you can do repeated barrel strike and it will not damage the cross bar. the cross bar are pulled down by your fingers (four fingers required) with the gun resting against the gound with muzzle up(make sure the gun is empty), you simply slide the grip down the rail until it comes to the rail address your want and the twin cross bars lock in place.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Okay, okay, I WANT one!!
gimmee, gimmee, gimmee![smash]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'd like to know how in the hell a picture of my wife got in this thread?  [8D]
View Quote

[shock]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#22]
The grip looks quite nice!  Though light wire grooves would've been a nice touch.  The thing seems a bit wider and more robust than the KAC which I like.

BTW, all the pics look great except the last one,  The hooter......justs a red X!

Now my day is ruined.......[>(]

EDITED TO ADD:  Never mind!  Hooters girl came through on return......Chen your the master...TD foregrip in hand.  I dont mean to be rude here BUT....talk about your subliminal advertising!  [shock]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Is it round like the KAC, or oval?

I'm also interested to know how much side to side play it has.  How tight is it?

I ask because I really have to crank down on the KAC vertical grip for it to not shift under pressure.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks Chen.   Me thinks we have a winner here!
Thanks.....Chad
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#25]
I'll take one in OD. I think a little lip on the front like the HK MP5-K grips would be cool also.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I have to say though, it does look awfully similar to the Dieter grip.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

the TD grip weighs 3.6 oz.
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is it round like the KAC, or oval?

I'm also interested to know how much side to side play it has.  How tight is it?
View Quote

the cross section is eccentric (egg shaped).  the removable switch panel side is the sharper end.
it is rock solid on a mil-spec 1913 rail - no noticeable movement, either side-side or front-back.  on a non mil-spec rail, there *might* be some side-side play, depending on the rail, but no front-back movement as the twin locking bars are slightly tapered and wedge into the cross rails the more you wiggle the grip.

cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks MM, now I know we have a winner. Gotta get two, maybe three if I'm gonna replace that heavy M900. Thanks.....Chad
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the compliments on one of our latest products. First, let me address some of your questions regarding the mounting/lock up system. We developed this grip quite a while ago for SAW weapon duty. Nothing hammers parts like a SAW and every step of design and production on this product reflects that.

We start by actually machining the 'dovetail' into the plastic part. Molded parts can shrink or distort slighly and prevent the proper slip fit necessary for a no-wobble rail installation or can keep the grip from mounting the rail altogether. Machining is a Mercedes way of allowing perfect fitment, part after part. If you have a Mil-spec rail, our grip will fit properly. Next, we have 2 spring-driven locking bars that are wedge-shaped in cross section that engage the cross cuts in the 1913 rail. They are molded of a proprietary resin with significant strength properties that will not damage the host rail in event of high impact, unlike metal grips. The bars have substantial surface area and are redundant, so even if one fails, the grip stays in place on the gun. There is no fore-aft movement, once engaged on the rail due to the wedging principle. If the rail is Mil spec, there is no lateral movement either. The spring is 17-7 stainless, then heat treated for corrosion proof performance.

Other significant features are a cap that is o-ringed and water proof to 200' depths and is captured by a Nylon leash to prevent loss. The cavity will store a spare M4 bolt assy plus firing pin etc. The dove-tailed pressure switch pocket prevents unwanted movement of the tape switch and can be filled by a supplied panel when switch use is not desired. The grip comes with full instructions that also suggest proper wire-management tips to prevent snagged switch leads. We are currently filling preliminary Special Forces orders and should begin commercial shipments in September. Hope this information is of help.

Best to all,

Jeffrey M. Cahill
President
TangoDown LLC
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
... should begin commercial shipments in September.
View Quote

September!!aaah[shock]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I thought he wrote "My WIFE with the TD grip", oh how jealous I would have been [:)]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Jeffrey M. Cahill
President
TangoDown LLC -

Sir will this be available in Od Green or Tan?If so any pics of those desired colors?

Thanks for sharing the info with the Board.

Jm03
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#34]
It will depend on the military order, as of this time, there is no plans for tan or OD colored grips.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#35]
allright folks,

close-up pics are up.  username and password are both 'mm' to view fullsize pics.

[url]http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/weapons.1.html#vert[/url]

cheers,
MM

Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#36]
MM, nice MRE FF RAS, you got some nice toys [:)]  How did ya get hold of the grip?
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
MM, nice MRE FF RAS, you got some nice toys [:)]  How did ya get hold of the grip?
View Quote

Because he is special. [;)]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

haha, that's exactly what i think when i see YOUR posts.
how'd i get the grip? if i told you, i'd have to...nah, just kidding.  i'll send ya an IM.    
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Are preorders being taken?
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 5:36:20 AM EDT
[#40]

Chen or MM,

How well does the it fit on the SIR?  If you get chance please snap a few pics with it on the SIR 50![:D]
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 5:43:46 AM EDT
[#41]
MM thanks for the comparison next to the KAC grip.  Its fatter at the top.  EXCELLENT [:D]
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 6:03:16 AM EDT
[#42]
MM snd SMGLee thanks for the info and great pics, I hope TD realizes your contributions and reward you accordingly, the info and pics you posted are of great value.
Now only if Frank of POF could take note and send you his much vaunted handguards to evaluate...oh well, we tried to tell him but he seems to be locked in a debate with 3rdtk.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 6:12:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Duff!  Dont poison this with mentioning that abortion!
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 6:24:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Sowee lumps, I'll go to that thread and add more poison [:d]
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
How well does the it fit on the SIR?  If you get chance please snap a few pics with it on the SIR 50![:D]
View Quote

yojimbo, i tried it on my own SIR #50 and strangely enough, it didn't fit.  the SIR rail was too thick (not width wise, but in the upper part of the diamond).  also, there is no relief between the handguard and rail.  the KAC will slide on the RIS because it's made loose and isn't as beefy at the top.  the TD groove is machine cut with a cutter that is made to govt prints for the 1913 rail, and it fits like a glove on both KAC RIS's i have, a surefire rail for the MP5, and flat tops (just testing).  
if demand for the TD grip to fit the SIR is great enough, they might be persuaded to produce a rail that fits on the handguard of the SIR that will fit the TD handguard, and any other accessories.  it'll probably be cheaper than the #4 rail that i have on the bottom, and it'll do the same thing.
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

yojimbo, i tried it on my own SIR #50 and strangely enough, it didn't fit.  the SIR rail was too thick (not width wise, but in the upper part of the diamond).  also, there is no relief between the handguard and rail.  the KAC will slide on the RIS because it's made loose and isn't as beefy at the top.  the TD groove is machine cut with a cutter that is made to govt prints for the 1913 rail, and it fits like a glove on both KAC RIS's i have, a surefire rail for the MP5, and flat tops (just testing).  
if demand for the TD grip to fit the SIR is great enough, they might be persuaded to produce a rail that fits on the handguard of the SIR that will fit the TD handguard, and any other accessories.  it'll probably be cheaper than the #4 rail that i have on the bottom, and it'll do the same thing.
cheers,
MM
View Quote

MM,

Oh man, I was getting so pumped for one of these!

Thanks for the info though!  I asked because I ran into this same issue with the AAC vertical grip I currently have.

Being a graduate of WECSOG[;)], I used my Dremel tool to make several passes on the top inner edge of the vertical grip.  I took about 1/16" off each top edge and put a small 45 degree angle on it and it now it fits the SIR rail nice and tight and still also fits tight on a regular rail like the on RAS.

[img]http://a6.cpimg.com/image/94/0D/19895956-594a-02000180-.jpg[/img]

You can see in the pic above that I didn't have to take much material off at all.  I just went really slow and checked the fit after every couple of passes with the Dremel.

I wonder if such an operation would work on the TD grip as well?

Link Posted: 8/14/2003 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I wonder if such an operation would work on the TD grip as well?
View Quote

the answer is YES!  i was looking at it this morning, and that's exactly the same modification that would have to be done to the TD grip as you did on the AAC one to fit the SIR.
cheers!
MM
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#48]
AND MM, Id like to add that that KAC RAS MRE/NSN ACOG/Vltor carbine you have on your website is a VERY fine looking weapon.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#49]
The TD grip does appear longer than the KAC as well.  Anyone know how much if any? I like the chubbier width!!

Laziness Disclamer: Sorry if I missed the answer to this post!
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Oh I need one bad!  Are we talking early or late September?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top