Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2003 9:30:04 PM EDT
I am going to purchase a stripped lower to build up a patrol carbine. I have found good deals on DPMS and RRA stripped lowers. I am familiar with RRA's good reputation for quality and price. I'm not familiar with DPMS' reputation as far as quality. Can anyone offer input or recommendations???
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 12:38:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a RRA and love it.  I have seen a lot of DPMS rifles since I live in Minnesota.  They aren't machined as smooth as the RRA, otherwise they're just fine.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 4:27:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 5:10:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Between the two choices I'd go w/ the [b]DPMS[/b].

I own RRA lowers and they have fine triggers (NM 2-stage), but the "rear shelf" is shallow and while it causes no problems in general, especially when mated to RRA uppers, it does preclude the use of "accu-wedge" and then there's a couple other minor matters that don't amount to much, like the stock indent in the back is tight with some stock types in my experience. I like the RRA lowers and don't intend this to be a derogatory indictment of RRA products, but they fit best w/ RRA uppers.

If building up a lower I'd stick w/ one I knew to be closer to Mil-spec and while CMMG stopped short of a rabid endorsement ('cus he sells 'em)he's correct the DPMS is a fine lower and both he and DPMS I can recommend.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 6:02:39 AM EDT
[#4]
anyone know where I can purchase a LEO restricted stripped lower???
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 6:26:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm having a custom AR built and called around some different gunsmiths and they told me to go with the RRA lower.  The RRA lower fits so well with their RRA uppers that an accu-wedge isn't needed.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 1:05:24 PM EDT
[#6]
CMMG

I am talking about the forged lowers.  My Sergeant has a 16" M4, and its not as nice as my RRA.  With my RRA the fit between upper lower is nice and tight.  Much tighter than my Sergeant's DPMS M4.

SDEH20

For LE lowers, you can go directly through DMPS their website address is [url]www.dpmsinc.com[/url] .  I'm going to a sschool/range day where DPMS is going to have some full auto guns and Glock is going to have the new Model 37, along with somme other guns, so I'll let you know if I see anything different with their rifles.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a RRA and love it.  I have seen a lot of DPMS rifles since I live in Minnesota.  They aren't machined as smooth as the RRA, otherwise they're just fine.
View Quote

You might be thinking of the cast lowers.  DPMS forged lowers are great.  We sell tons of them and get great reviews.

Jeff
View Quote

Sorry, Jeff;  DPMS lowers are not as well machined before finishing as are Rock River. I've got one of both brands, and the RR unit has absolutely zero forging lines or tool marks. I can't say that for the DPMS. I've looked at other DPMS lowers, and they all have one or another minor nicks, forge lines, etc.

On the other hand, DPMS finish color is much more "GI" in appearance, and the width is slightly wider; much closer to Colt, Bushie, and other upper widths.  If you get a Rock River lower, it's best matched to a Rock River upper for color and no overhang at the upper/lower joint.

All the above said, either piece will get the job done just fine[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top