Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2003 5:27:31 PM EDT
Hi all,
I went through a carbine class with my M96 in recon configuration and wore a blister on the top of my index (bird) finger. On the Ar15 they have a "gapper plug"
Anyone have an idea for the M96 other than just squirting a glob of silicone rubber in the gap?
Class was with Louis Awerbuck and was quite informative and a load of fun.
Thanks
Mark
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Not really familiar with the M96 but you may be able to cut up one of those foam rubber type ear plugs and wedge it in there.  I know alot of guys do this with AR's.  The foam rubber will expand back out once stuffed to fill the void.  Good luck!

ps.  I think there is something about this on the Maryland AR15 shooters site in the HOW-TO DO IT page!
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:33:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep before the Gapper lots of shooters used the foam earplugs (don't need to cut them - just compress them).

How did you like your Recon Carbine at the class?  Have you run one with an AR for a direct comparison?
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:49:12 AM EDT
[#3]
In regard to the class, everyone else has M4 combinations. Everyone else had at least one malfunction except the M96. The biggest problem with the M$s was the holdover inside of 15-20 yards and closer. The M96 hold over was only 1" where as the M4s ranged from 3-5 inches. I was using iron sights, some had red dots and ACOGs.  Sometimes new and fancy just ain't so hot crap in the field. Batteries die when you most need them.
My biggest problem was when clearing the M96 I am used to working the bolt "vigoursly" and the cartridge would fly out at a rapid speed and fly 15 feet away. Sort of funny and I slowed it down a bit so as to to injure the next guy.
Overall, it worked great and never choked.
Mark
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Were batteries dying?  Odd!
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Glad to see there is some other M96 owners on the board,mine is Factory Recon with Tube stock,long rail with aimpoint and i like it! Alot!,and never had a battery die unexpectedly but my aimpoint is QD on a M68 just in case.Regards
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top