Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2003 6:53:23 AM EDT
Hi,

I've been looking into lightweight barrels like the Bushmaster super lightweight 16.  Does any other company make a similar (very light, 16") barrel?

Does the postban version of the Bushy include a muzzlebrake, or some such?  I'd like to get it plain, just crowned with no brake or fake flash suppressor.  The photos on their Web site look like a preban.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:16:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Colt, Olympic Arms and IIRC DPMS make a similar barrel.  Bushmaster's and Colts are chrome lined - the others are not.

For around $55 Kurt Wala of Kurt's Kustom (see the Industry section) can turn any 16" HBAR into a similar profile.

The Bushmaster barrel can be had in pre-ban or post ban (no muzzle device) form.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The Colt barrels are available in both 1/7 twist as well as 1/9 twist, the Bushmaster is only available in 1/9.  Also, I am not sure if Colt has any lightwieghts in postban configuration.  The Colt barrels cost twice as much as the Bushy barrel as well.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2003 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#3]
A lightweight barrel with one of the A2 looking comps would look nice.

Link Posted: 8/5/2003 5:29:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Decided to go with the DPMS for this.  Thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Most of the kit places have lighweight barrels as well...I know M&A and Model 1 do.  I just got my Model 1 lightweight kit today...the upper is REALLY light...around 3 lbs, according to the MD AR-15 shooter's site.  Unfortunately, my little postal scale only goes to 2 lbs, so I can't be precise with this upper...but I can't see being able to get the barrel any smaller hehe.  Here's a pic, with a bic pen as a reference:

[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/188491/lightweight002.jpg[/img]

Here's one that shows the difference between the light barrel and a heavy barrel.  Note the diameter of the light barrel under the handguards is the same as the gas block...you can just see where it starts to thicken up at the front of the gas block.  

[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/188491/lightweight003.jpg[/img]

The light barrel has a simple 11 degree crown.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top