Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2003 2:38:15 PM EDT
I have a had the good fortune to purchase 2 of these stocks since they became the rage. Although both were no doubt new when I received them, both had varying amounts of handling wear and dings on them. One appears to have been slid accross a rough concrete floor.I realize they were made for military use and cosmetics is a secondary concern, but I am curious if other Crane stock owners received their stocks with the same evidencce of rough handling.

thanks
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah my rubber buttpad looks like someone cut the molding flash off with a boxcutter (so there are a few beveled edges where they should be 90 degree corners).

Other than that it was a little scratched (maybe).  Maybe the ones that are being sold are seconds?  I don't know.  But I am happy with mine regardless.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:09:19 AM EDT
[#2]
My stock had a number of small dents and dings. One ding was at the mouth of the stock opening.

The worst detail I noticed about my Crane stock is that the bore for the receiver extension was modified crudely, with a file, to fit the receiver extension. My stock fit so poorly (tight) to the receiver extension, that I sold it and made a $200 profit.

But, I can understand why these stock vary in quality. They were made on a Progressive Prototyping Mold, which is not ment for long life. I believe the LMT Crane stock will be a much better quality, if they produce them. We shall see.

ls
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:16:03 AM EDT
[#3]
You mean the scalper prices we see on these things are for ones in abused condition?  I can understand scratches on used military equipment...but ones that have been cut on?

Makes me even more happy that I bought a Vltor.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:58:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You mean the scalper prices we see on these things are for ones in abused condition?  I can understand scratches on used military equipment...but ones that have been cut on?

View Quote

That's what I did with the $200 profit, I turn around and bought my second Vltor stock. IMHO, the Vltor stock is twice the quality, additional modularity and 1/5th the cost of a Crane stock.

ls
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:05:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Word
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Both of mine were tight when first installed on recevier extensions/tubes, more so when trying to fully close them, but got easier to close soon thereafter. I like them and don't regret either purchase, but could not figure out how a unissued piece could get so dinged up just from handling. The plastic(whatever they are made of) seems a little soft, but they are sexy.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#7]
The plastic they use is softer then normal because there is no glass mixed in the stocks construction. It's not recommended to use glass (which gives strength and eliminates shrinkage) because most Progressive Prototype Molds are made for short production life and by using glass will shorten the life span of the mold. From my understanding, less then 2000 Crane stocks were made on the prototype mold, before the mold died. The LMT mold will be made to produce high quantities, 100's of thousands of stocks, before the mold shows wear. We may see stocks from them by the end of the year.

ls
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 8:41:12 AM EDT
[#8]
LS:

Do you know if LMT is improving the Crane stock?  Specifically some of the mentioned deficiencies.

Thanks,

Corey
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what I did with the $200 profit, I turn around and bought my second Vltor stock. IMHO, the Vltor stock is twice the quality, additional modularity and 1/5th the cost of a Crane stock.

ls
View Quote

Double the WORD!!!!  I am super happy with my Vltor. at 120 dollars, you just can't beat that deal for the modular deisgn and comfort it offers.

The word on the street is the plastic used on the temporary mold at Crane is not up to spiff, it is brittle and can damage easy.  This is why when LMT or ARMS bought the mold, their first commitment is to military for replacement and deployment.  So even if LMT is up to production on the stock, it will be awhile before you will see the Crane stock in the civilians' hands and a drop in price.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
LS:

Do you know if LMT is improving the Crane stock?  Specifically some of the mentioned deficiencies.

Thanks,

Corey
View Quote

Corey-

Yes, LMT do have plans to improve the current design. There were many disadvantages with the early prototype pieces. LMT have plans to make the stock stronger, especially around the lock-pin area, which has been failing during the drop-test. They also want to improve the tube well. Reports from the field is that the existing tubes can accidentally be installed improperly and bind-up trying to reinstall properly. Plus, they want to re-develop the buttplate assembly, because they're prone to breaking. I've even heard that they want to change the angle of the butt plate to more be more like the Vltor stock. The two biggest complaints reported from the field is that the end users don't like having to remove the stock to access the compartments and those wearing gas masks don't like the permanent cheekweld angle. If they redesign the stock around all the comments made, the Crane/LMT stock will be a Vltor clone, at twice the price of a Vltor stock. What a bargain.

ls
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess I gut lucky.  My Crane stock was in pretty much perfect condition, it came still new in the bag.  The only blemishes seem to be the kind of dried out look apparent on some newly molded plastics, which shine up nicely with a little silicon lube or armorall (use the matte, not the glossy).  I also lucked out cause the seller (who sold multiple units) advertised the heinous price which included the buffer, tube, and spring - none of which they come with so he had to send me a brand new Colt tube, buffer, and spring pack.

It will not fit on a Bushy/RRA/Whoever's 6 position tube, but could be filed and modified to I'm pretty sure, which sounds like what happened to the unit Lord Stoner's unit...
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It will not fit on a Bushy/RRA/Whoever's 6 position tube, but could be filed and modified to I'm pretty sure, which sounds like what happened to the unit Lord Stoner's unit...
View Quote

Hey Mike-

I saw your collection on the other thread, quite impressive. I envy you. [:)]

To answer your question, I used a Colt tube (the same tube I used for the Vltor stock) and the part that didn't fit properly was the rail located along the bottom of the tube. The square cut in the stock wasn't square, more like trapezoidal (sp). The file marks I mentioned was signs of someone trying to make the track square, for the tube's rail to fit in.

ls
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah WORD cubed!!  Came over from another post.  Looks like the prices are getting to $600 bills now....Just got my first VLTOR.  Perfect and then some!
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#14]
My stock doesn't have any evidence of file fitting.  

It is as tight as I could see any stock that still collapses readily being.

I don't think a tighter fit would be an improvement.

Happy with mine not selling and if I ever do I won't be asking for profit.

I like the rubber buttpad too. [b]The Vltor has the cheekpiece angle but lacks the pad and is swiss cheesed with holes (why they did that cosmetic suicide I don't know.)

One nice thing I can see is it does have the angled buttplate so it won't cut into the shoulder like early M-4 stocks with the 90degree angled butt.  For the price I would reccomend Vltor or New M-4 Colt MFG[/b]

I know the M-16 isn't a show gun but I actually like the way it looks.

Don't drop my guns so the drop test info doesn't bother me. People who drop their weapons 30-50feet are morons (if they are parachuting the gun won't impact like it fell 30 feet and with the stock collapsed it should pass the test easilly). ---PCI's---
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#15]
The Vltor has the cheekpiece angle but lacks the pad and is swiss cheesed with holes (why they did that cosmetic suicide I don't know.)

View Quote

I totally agree with that. I will sacrific detachable cheek piece for a more solid stock.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Don't drop my guns so the drop test info doesn't bother me. People who drop their weapons 30-50feet are morons (if they are parachuting the gun won't impact like it fell 30 feet and with the stock collapsed it should pass the test easilly). ---PCI's---
View Quote

The drop test I'm talking about is from [b]5 feet[/b]. Yes, the Crane stocks, including the new M4 "ribbed" stock are failing a five foot drop test. I heard that the Colt ribbed stock fails 3 out of 5 times. Also, the stocks just don't crack, but they break in half! Sometimes a [i]more soild stock[/i] isn't always better. Ridged sometimes means brittle.

For those that don't own a Vltor stock, the Swiss cheese holes are the mounting points for the modular accessories.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

ls
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a new Magpul stock set with a weaver rail for handguards or the side of the stock, and the sling buttstock attachment for $200 shipped.  I'm thrilled with it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 6:01:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Hiram-

That's a great price! where did you get it from?

ls
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top