Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2003 3:08:23 PM EDT
Hello folks.

I'm trying to decide which forend to buy for my SAM project. I was going to put either M5 RAS or Long FF RAS but then I don't need rails since I am not really going to put anything on it. But I still want better heat dissipation than the stock forend offers. What choices do I have?

Thanks for your time

Link Posted: 8/2/2003 3:16:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I think all of these FF tubes out there, with the exception of KAC, Daniels Defense and ARMS units, are all relatively closed off for ventilation.  Just get a KAC FF RAS and your needs will be covered presently, and later if you want to put a flash light on it, it's ready.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#2]
It doesn't have to free float but I agree that all these sturdy and vented handguards come with rails.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#3]
The SIR system is no doubt the coolest running and you can remove any rails that you don't want or need, best of both worlds. The rails run in tracks and can be removed very easily.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Listen to 3rdtk, he is one of the most knowledgable people here, I'm just a civie enthusiast [:)]
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:58:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Hehehe.

I already have a SIR on my carbine but it seemed a bit heavy (while it is incredibly sturdy) for a rifle.

OH YES! Sorry that I didn't clarify. This forend is for rifle, not carbine.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#6]
You may want to look at the "Predator" rail system (Patent Pending).
The P-20 system is for the standard lenght / sniper versions.
The system is extermely rigid design, and cost about $150.00 less then the SIR (ARMS) system.
Just thought you should know you there is another choice. Designed and manufactured in Phoenix,AZ
for the USA market.
Best regards,

Frank
POF-USA

Here's a picture of a sniper weapon with a 27" barrel.

[img]http://www.pof-usa.com/AR15/ar15pr13.jpg[img]
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 9:33:55 PM EDT
[#7]
The Predator looks very promising, for some reason over here it hasn't received the welcome it should.  I think it'll be a successful product line.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#8]
[url=http://www.pof-usa.com/AR15/ar15pricelist.htm]Predator[/url]
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:20:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Predator looks very promising, for some reason over here it hasn't received the welcome it should.  I think it'll be a successful product line.
View Quote

It's not expensive enough [:(]

Link Posted: 8/3/2003 8:50:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Paul, that's what occured to me as well.  Many of us rightly associate price with quality, with most things, not all, we are correct.  Other things like supply and demand also come into play, but this is a oft discussed issue.  From all accounts, Predator is light and very well made.  It has some issues to work out, like the non spec Pic rails and front sight mounting.  I'd say it's between KAC/ARMS/Daniels Defense and Bushy/Oly/C-More systems.  Even if the armed forces don't adopt it, now we have more choice in Pic rail handguards, this can't be a bad thing.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 9:29:22 AM EDT
[#11]
OK, you want a cheap forend with more airflow than stock...

I'd mark out a good looking pattern on the stock forend and drill some 1/4" holes.  If it turns out bad, you were looking to buy a different set anyway right?
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#12]
looked at the predator link and saw that the carbine model covers the gas block on a standard carbine will it fit on the mid length guns by rra and armalite
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Predator does look very interesting.

Can you still use a BIS like ARMS #40 on it?

I still would like FF Long RAS since they don't put optic on the higher level, but I can't install FF RAS myself so that's another problem. Predator might be the ticket.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:03:25 AM EDT
[#14]
AAArrrrrhhhhh look what you did, I must have one now. My wife sends many thanks !!!!!!!!!

............Paul
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:21:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
looked at the predator link and saw that the carbine model covers the gas block on a standard carbine will it fit on the mid length guns by rra and armalite
View Quote

That is the mid length you see, the carbine length is coming, probably another feww weeks.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#16]
what kind of iron sights can be used with the predator handguard
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top