Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2003 12:49:30 PM EDT
Does anyone here own the Hogue Free Float forend with the rubber grip section? I am considering purchasing one to replace the full-length forend on my Dissipator. I would like to know how it feels, and if it works well for rapid firing. Feedback is appreciated!
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#1]
i don't have one.

i've never even physically seen one.

and i don't play a doctor on television.

but i would imagine that the rubber would act as an insulator, and help keep the barrel hot longer, which prolly idn't a good thing. you'd prolly be better off with the standard handguards unless you wanna get real spendy.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Its just a variation of the standard aluminum free float tube used on competition guns for years.  It attaches by aluminum threads that are easily stripped if the forearm takes a hard hit and it has piss poor cooling qualities.

Skip it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Had one, loved the feel, it's a great grip when your hands are sweaty.

The rubber is a very thin layer so it does not insulate against barrel heat as well as, say, a double-shielded M4. Hogue tech folks also told me they DO NOT recommend its use with full-autos or suppressed weapons -- they WILL melt the rubber. They also said they have had cases of the rubber starting to melt under heavy, rapid semi fire.

Since all my uppers fell in their "will melt" category, I sold mine before it has a chance to melt down.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all your input, the product sounds about right for how I intend to use my gun. I won't to be burning through multiple mags, or using a suppressor, I just need a good all weather free floater that can withstand some abuse. I am purchasing one tomorrow at a local outdoor store, and it will compliment my Hogue grip nicely. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#5]
If withstanding abuse is your goal, then this is NOT the forarm you want.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#6]
What is a sturdy free-float.  I am looking for one.  Thanks.  There isn't anything wrong with a ar hogue grip or a houge 10/22 stock, is there?
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 11:56:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Knights FF-RAS, Daniel Defense's FF Tube and the SIR system are the only ones I would trust.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I disagree with some of the posts above.  I have 2 rifles with the Hogue FF handguards and pistol grips.  They are really nicely machined and anodized with a slightly glossy finish.  The tube is fairly heavy walled and has lots of thread engagement with its barrel nut section.  I don't use my rifles in a combat environment, but I can't imagine breaking the thing even in an abusive environment.  As far as the overheating comments, why would someone that blasts the crap out of the countryside in FA or very high rate semiauto fire want a FF handguard?  You can't hit anything under these conditions anyway, so the accuracy gained by a FF installation is overcome.  Buy one, you'll like it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw one have its threads stripped after it was leaned against a wall and fell on a [b]carpeted[/b] floor.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
As far as the overheating comments, why would someone that blasts the crap out of the countryside in FA or very high rate semiauto fire want a FF handguard?  You can't hit anything under these conditions anyway...
View Quote

Russ, I really think you'd feel more at home on a sporting  clays web site, where folks are more in tune with your opinions on full-auto fire.

Edited to add: Oops! I see you're in California. That explains everything. My sincere apologies.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I appreciate all the input, I went ahead and purchased the handguard yesterday from a local store, and had their gunsmith install it on my upper. I am going to pick it up today. If its not up to snuff, oh well! Just another $70. And just for the record, I have absolutely no problem with either full auto, or shooting clays. But please keep the in-fighting to a minimum.  :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top