Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2003 5:46:35 PM EDT
can anyone help me ? cant decide between bm m4a3 pre ban or cmmg/dpms, 1:9 or 1:7? money really not issue.. i shoot alot with different loads, and want it to be reliable and  to handle abuse well. any input on this dilema i have would be greatly appreciated...

meat.

gob bless our brave troops in iraq!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Go with 1/7!

I'm getting one for my BM carbine when this barrel gets shot out.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#2]
1st Gom 1/7"
2nd BM will probably have a huge delay in shipping CMMG will get them out right away, good guys...
I almost bought their DPMS barrels, but, I believe the front sight assembly was cast, so I waited for a BM.  just my .02c.  Lots o' luck.  S2
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 7:51:09 AM EDT
[#3]
meateater,

I went through this same problem when I was setting up my new upper.

I would say to definitely go with a 1/7 barrel!  The 1/7 will shoot anything the 1/9 can and it will let you step up to the good heavier stuff like the excellent 77 gr loadings.

IMHO, the accuracy you loose with the 1/7 when using the lighter bullets will be unnoticable but you'll definitely notice the accuracy loss with the heavier loads when using the 1/9.

If Bushmaster made a 16" 1/7 M4 barrel, and had it in stock, I would go with them but since they don't CMMG has an excellent alternative.

Yes, the CMMG/DPMS has a cast front sight but  you can get Steve at ADCO to replace it with a forged one for $65.  I would highly recommend this update to keep the upper mil-spec.

As with everything there seems to be a trade off.  The Bushmaster with forged front sight a 1/9 twist and no M4 feed ramps[:|] or CMMG with the cast front sight a 1/7 twist and M4 feed ramps[:|]...  

I felt the 1/9 twist was more of an issue than the cast front sight.  The M4 feed ramps is also a plus for the CMMG upper and will help with reliability.

Going with the CMMG will cost a bit more due to replacing the sight but you will have a mil-spec barrel and have it sooner than waiting for Bushmaster to make a 16", 1/7 M4 barrel[%|].

If you'd like some info on the CMMG upper check out my experience with the one I purchased.  See links below.

[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=162739] CMMG M4 project notes and pics.[/url]

[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=164401] CMMG upper reliability testing.[/url]

Link Posted: 7/25/2003 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I wonder why Bushmaster never makes 16" 1/7 barrels...

BM 14.5" 1/7 barrel is not a regularly produced item too!
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wonder why Bushmaster never makes 16" 1/7 barrels...

BM 14.5" 1/7 barrel is not a regularly produced item too!
View Quote

I asked Jerrod at Bushmaster about 16" 1/7 and he basically told me they had no interest to make one at this time.  I think Bushmaster feels the demand is not there...[BD]

Add the 20" 1/7 to your not regularly produced list too!

I thought the 14.5" 1/7 was a regular stock item?

Link Posted: 7/25/2003 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Get both. (I did)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top