Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2003 9:42:33 PM EDT
I just made a trade on this upper,  it's brand new, with a hard chromed bolt carrier.  I'm not sure whether or not this upper will require a break-in or not(for those that believe in breaking in a barrel).

Does anyone know whether or not they lap their Match barrels?

Link Posted: 7/20/2003 1:13:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Being that it is a stainless steel barrel, if you care about accuracy, you should break it in properly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Just shoot it!  Barrel break is a debated practice, I have never noticed a difference between the ones I broke in or the ones I just started shooting. (except the long boring process of breaking it in!)
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 11:06:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I started on my barrel break-in process tonight,  and WHOA what a great feeling rifle!  Granted,  I only fired 7 rounds of the first 10 of my "singles" (fire once then clean- 10x's, fire twice then clean- 10x's, then fire 3 times then clean- 10x's).

Due to the huge barrel's weight,  the recoil was almost non-existent.  Immediate spotting of my own shots through the scope @ 100 yards was a breeze due to this,  the scope's view never left the target.  The weight of the rifle with the scope on it is 11 lbs.,  and it's been given the nickname, "sledgehammer".

Due to the late start tonight,  the sun was setting and I had just gotten my shots in the black, then the 1" bullseye(low by 1/2") on the 7th shot.  My Tasco Varmint scope doesn't transmit light for squat so I called it quits.  This will be replaced by a Burris Fullfield 2 4.5-14x in the future.

I'm very curious to see what kind of accuracy I get with this upper.  I've never read a review on DPMS's Bull Match barreled uppers, all I can say for now is I like the recoil/muzzleflip... more like lack thereof!!  I've had some experience with the Bushmaster Varminter Special and in comparison it still has the recoil (pop) and a tad bit of a muzzle flip.

If anyone is interested, i'll make a brief post of it's accuracy after it's break-in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top