Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/19/2003 5:08:43 PM EDT
Well, this is my new rifle.  What do you think?  Any and all suggestions, criticism, or compliments are welcome.  I have updated the pictures with my lastest changes to the rifle.  I had posted these pictures at the end of this thread but decided to move them to the first page.

http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/500/492update1.jpg
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice Weapon. Looks very Bushmaster!

The ACE looks just fine. Very rugged and comfortable I might add.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Rotate your Aimpoint caps so they flip down and out of your way.

Nice looking gun.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the tip.  As far as functionality and dependablility, what do you think?  Any and all suggestions are welcome (both negative and positive).  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#4]
That looks great!!

CHRIS
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you.  Here are the rifle specs:

-Bushmaster Upper and Lower Receiver
-Jewel Trigger
-Aimpoint Comp ML2
-ARMS Aimpoint Mount With cantilever extension
-Front and Rear BMAS Flip up BUIS (will most
likely change to ARMS #40 rear site)
-Extended Bolt Release from Fulton Armory (a
necessity IMHO)
-BMAS Carbine FF Forend with Rugger Railgrips
-16 inch Chrome-lined 1:9 Flutted 4150 Heavy
Barrel
-Ace Skeleton Stock
-Hogue Rubber Grip (with Gapper)
-Graphite Vertical Foregrip from SOG Armory
This rifle was originally a standard Bushmaster AK Shorty Carbine.

Link Posted: 7/19/2003 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope you don't mind, but I reduced the size of your photo:

[img]http://home.comcast.net/~gnanagas/AR15_fluted_carbine.jpg[/img]

I like it, but several questions:

- Do you have a preban lower (necessary for a collapsible stock)?

- How useful is the extended bolt catch?

- Do you have a flashlight on the other side of the rail forend?

Sweet!

[Edit] I agree, switch to the ARMS #40 BUIS.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I am not sure if I have a preban lower or not.  I will have to find out.  I don't want to be illegal.

As for the extended bolt catch, it is very useful.  It allows you to use only one hand to release the bolt instead of having to hold the rifle with your right hand and hitting the release with your left.  Believe me if you try one out, you won't ever want another AR without it.

A tactical light is the only thing that I do not have yet.  What would you recommend?  The Surefire lights are amazing but a bit expensive (you get what you pay for though and you get alot with Surefire).  What would you recommend if price is no object?  What would be a good mid range light?

Also, what advantages does the ARMS #40 sight have over the BMAS sight?  Obviously the ARMS sight looks much better but the BMAS sight is functional and very well made.  The main reason that I am going to get the ARMS sight is that I may upgrade to an ARMS SIR forend in the future and the ARMS#40 sight is the only BUIS that will fit with the SIR.  Thanks for responding.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Very Nice!!
How do you like the skelton stock, I like its looks.
One suggestion. Turn the front folding site around so it folds toward the handgaurds, less likely to get snagged when moving through brush and the like.
good shootin'
cp
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's a listing of pre/post-ban serial numbers:

[url=http://www.mp5.net/info/preban.htm]Pre/Post-Ban Serial # Registry[/url]

For a flashlight, I'd go for a Surefire Millenium 95-series light, with either a Swan throw-lever mount or dual thumbscrews:

[url=http://www.san.surefire.com/cgi-bin/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/267/sesent/0,0]Surefire Millenium Universal Lights[/url]

I recommend the 6V lights as there have been posts about the more powerful 9V lights washing out the red dots on Aimpoint and EoTech sights indoors (reflection off walls, etc.)

However, if you are going to be using the carbine outdoors mostly, then maybe you need the more powerful lights.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the skeleton stock very much.  It is very solid and comfortable.  It has a very nice cheek weld.  Also, I find that the neoprene foam cover of the stock almost completely silences the noice from the buffer spring.  It is very solid yet light and is extremely well made.  

As for the front sight, I thought about turing it around but it would not fully fold down and lock because it would not clear the forend.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow.  The 95 series lights look great.  But I would prefer a tact light that uses an LED instead of a bulb.  LED lights are much more durable and they last longer.  Does Surefire make any tactical lights that use LED's?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#12]
My recommendation would be to get an extended bolt latch like the Badger Ordnance latch for those clearing exercises whithout taking your gun of your shoulder.

And yes, Surefire does make a LED head for their lights.

edittee to add: The ARMS #40 sight is also spring loaded so that once deployed brush or whatever can not knock it down. Also you should be able to use it THROUGH your Aimpoint (co-witness), I don't know whether the Bushmaster allows this or not.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#13]
About Surefire's LED lights - as far as I know, the LED heads are only for their handheld lights, not for their weapon lights.

They also put out less light than the incandescents (27 lumens for the KL-2 vs. 65 for the M500A)
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 9:18:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
About Surefire's LED lights - as far as I know, the LED heads are only for their handheld lights, not for their weapon lights.

They also put out less light than the incandescents (27 lumens for the KL-2 vs. 65 for the M500A)
View Quote

You could be right. I didn't look, I just remembered off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#15]
The Bushmaster flip up sight co-witnesses perfectly with the Aimpoint sight.  No problems whatsoever.  Also, the BMAS flip up sight may not be spring loaded but it locks when it is placed in either the up or down position.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 3:02:26 AM EDT
[#16]
It looks great.I also recommend the Badger Tac-Latch.As far as the bolt release, I would think it would get in the way unless you're just bench shooting.I find it just as easy to release the bolt when putting in another magazine(my hand is there anyway).You're still using your other hand unless they make extended bolt releases that change magazines too [:)]
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 5:02:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I like it, but several questions:

- Do you have a preban lower (necessary for a collapsible stock)?
View Quote

Are you planning on putting on a collapsible stock?  Because that ACE ARFX is the "non-Collapsible" model.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Is the Bushy flip up front sight reversable?  I thought it folded towards the rear [img]www.falfiles.com/forums/confused.gif[/img]
Personally I don't like the extended bolt release, because remember one of the safety rules...finger out of the trigger guard until you're ready to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah the front sight is reversable.  But if I reversed it then it would not fully lock down because it doesn't quite clear the forend.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Was that a 16" A3 "V Match" to begin with?
--RR
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#21]
No.  Originally the upper was a 14.5 inch non-fluted shorty with AK muzzle break.  I have since sold that upper and put this one on.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Here are a few more pics.  Here I have a Harris bipod with ARMS quick detach bipod rail mount.

[img]http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/500/492update2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#23]
[img]http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/500/492update4.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#24]
[img]http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/500/492update3.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice rifle...I'm building something very similar.  Waiting on the aimpoint and mount; already have the ARMS # 38, and the bipod.  I have a Versa Pod, but I don't think it's as good for use with an adapter like the ARMS...I'll probably replace it at some time.

I went with the VLTOR stock, which is kinda cool. Much easier to shoot of the bench than the ACE.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:47:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Re: surefire lights.
The current KL3 is the 1W LED head for the 6P -based lights.  I'm not sure if it will fit the M95x series.  The KL3 is 17-19 lumen, compared to 60 for the base 6P.

SF has released the first 5W LED as the KL4, but it is for the E2 handheld light.  The P-series and weaponlight versions should be on their way, and the KL5 makes 65 lumens of smooth white light.

I highly recommend the tip-off beamshapers and filters for any Surefire light. I've got them on one, two, and three cell lights.  The beamshaper diffuses the hotspot of the beam and radically reduces the amount of glare-- perfect for indoor use.  Walk outside, flip the cover off.  The blue filter should prevent washout of scopes with red aiming reticles.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 10:46:31 PM EDT
[#27]
 Nice Rifle!  What's up with the Pre-Ban question?  I don't see any pre-ban features... Maybe I am just a late poster and somebody swapped pics on me...

I personally like the Arms #38 EX-MOD, it ties the RAS and Flat top upper together for one LONG upper rail, also has the Arms #40 BUIS built into it!  Course, then you would need to sell the Cantilever adapter, wouldn't be a problem in EE...  Talk to WES at MSTN about the Arms #38 EX-MOD (L).  The Arms #38 EX-MOD-L has an adapter on the front for the PEQ series IR lasers to mount, not necessary for most peoples...

Also, as an alternative to the Badger Tac-Latch, look at the PRI "BIG LATCH" or the whole assembly "GAS BUSTER"  It is built as strong as hell and won't fail you when you really need it...  Again talk to WES.

Just My $.02...  WES at MSTN will hook you up and answer your questions without a doubt!  He is good to go!
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 11:39:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd recommend the Surefire M900 with white LED's and an FM16 blue filter.  Rotate the caps so they flip down.  

Nice rifle!  Regardless of what you do!  Cheers,

H
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:36:42 AM EDT
[#29]
I have an extensive Bushmaster collection, but nothing tweaked out for CQB.  I had thought about what I would build, given the chance.  When I saw your pictures I was shocked at how close that was to what I hope to build...the fluted barrel, hogue grips, flip up BUIS, Ace stock, Handguard, and harris.  I know how similiar that is to the Bushmaster Anniversary Rifle, and was wondering if you used that as a base and just replaced certain frilley chrome parts.  If not, how did you swap out the front sight/gas block?  Did you buy it already afixed to the rifle or did you switch it after market?  Did it require gunsmithing or is a home job (with the correct tools)?

A few other questions:

Do those handguards mount as easily and in the same manner as standard A2 handguards?

Where did you get the quick detach bipod mount?

...probably more questions to follow!

Link Posted: 7/24/2003 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Hello.  Thanks for the responsed.  I have rotated my caps down and it has improved the visibility greatly.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#31]
I had Bushmaster build the upper receiver for me.  I saw one of the anniversary rifles at a local gun show and was extremely impressed.  So I contacted Bushmaster to see if they could build me an upper based on the anniversary rifle.  They said that they could and so what you see on the upper (minus the Aimpoint and ARMS mount) came straight from Bushmaster.  All that I had to do was drop it onto my upper receiver.  I purchased the ACE stock separately from Bushmaster and installed it myself.  I had already had the Harris bipod, so to mount it to the rail I purchased the ARMS bipod mount from [url]http://mstn.biz/[/url].  This is also where I purchased the Aimpoint Comp ML2 (amazing peice of hardware by the way) and the ARMS Aimpoint mount and cantilever extension.  MSTN is a great place to find a huge amount of accessories for your AR15 and they are extremely helpful and have great customer service.  As for the handguards, I do not know how easy it is to install them because Bushmaster did the gunsmithing.  The anniversary rifle configuration must be getting extremely popular.  If you look at Bushmaster's website, they now offer a regular version of the anniversary rifle.  [url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwvml16f.asp[/url]

Link Posted: 8/11/2003 9:31:43 PM EDT
[#32]
I have since changed my rear sight to an ARMS #40 flip sight and changed the dual aperature to a close range/target aperture sight from Delton inc.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#33]
I also think you should get a new charging handle latch, but I recommend the PRI's military latch, snags less.  You could use a Marsh grip plug so the hollow grip becomes a storage compartment.  Put a swivel on the front of the stock and try a single point sling for that handy rifle.  For lights, check out the TACM3 lamps.  They are as bright as SF's, made of lightweight polymer, and I don't think they are as expensive, though I bought mine a long time ago and there website (www.tacm.com) doesn't list prices (they use distributors).  Anything less than a SF is a compromise though.  If you have small hands, get a RRA safety.

Even as it is, that's a sweet rifle dude!

Edited to say:  I thought TACM was cheap, but I find it is as expensive as the Surefire (roughly), but they are lightweight and nice.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I am going to get a PRI Gas Buster charging handle with the big Latch next week.  What are the benefits of the RRA selector and do you know where I can buy one?  As for the tactical light, I am pretty set on getting a Surefire M962SU with pressure switch.  I am still undecided on the sling.  I have been looking at a couple of slings sold at Sogsales.com.  They are here [url]http://www.sogarmory.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=101450[/url] and here [url]http://www.sogarmory.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=101400[/url] but I am not entirely sure as to how I will attach the sling to the rifle.  Thanks for you comments and compliments.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 10:22:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Check out the CQB Solutions slings.

I have small hands and have to reach to pull the selector to 'safe'.  With the RRA selector, I can reach around the round end and pull the selector back easily.  It was designed to roll with your thumb (forward) and be more ergonomic, and it really is for me.  Gotta try it to appreciate it.  I changed all mine to RRA selectors, except for one, and since they are going C3, my M16 will soon have one too.

They are only $7 from Legal-Transfers (who advertise in the banners and the EE forum).

If you don't use a suppressor, they PRI Gas Buster is not a necessity, but it does make it safer in case of a kaboom, and it still vents gasses away in general.  The military big latch can be purchased separately, which is what I did to convert all my non gas-busters, which I only use on my suppressed uppers.  The Gas buster is pretty expensive.  Be warned that if you use a different stock with receiver plate for single point sling, a few styles won't work as the gas buster won't clear them.  There shouldn't be any problem with the ARFX.

I commend you on the SF M962SU, it's the shiznit and you will never regret it as you just got one of the very best.

Don't forget the updated pics when you get them [;)]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#36]
For me I dont see a point in the fold down front sight with a CQB gun unless you have tritum front sight and want to be more low profile when the bad guys might have night vision.  With that optic you cant be totally stealthy anyway.  If I did get a fold down front sight it would be a GG&G or PRI.

I am not real fond of sight. Why didnt you go with the AMRS 40 in the first place?

A Jewel trigger is to me a target trigger only.  If this is a CQB gun then Id use an Accuracy Speaks single stage, if its a long range gun then the Knights 2 stage.  Jewell or Krieger/Millazo (sp?) is the best choice for a range gun though.  The AS trigger would have been cheaper too.

I think it looks a little naked with nothing on the end of the barrel like a fake flash hider pressed on etc but thats really picking nits.

I prefer an A1 stock to the stock you selected but that is once again a personal preference and your stock is just fine.

If you have small hands the Houge grip is cool but if you have big hands give the Fobus G27 grip a try.

I am assuming the BM rail system was selected because of financial considerations.  If that is the case I would get the TDI front grip if you use a light with a tape switch or just get a Surefire G2 in a Fobus mount and use a knuckle to activate the light to keep it really, really inexpensive.  Spend the money on the P61 lamp too.  Also you need to move that front grip to the rear.  You may support less weight by holding out further out but your arm is in a biomechanically weaker position and will fatigue faster.  Move the front grip to the rear and mount a light in front of it if you use the Fobus mount/G2 combo.

You need a sling and a way to mount it.

Try mounting your flip caps on the Aimpoint so they open down instead of up. (Edited to add I see you already did this)

Its a nice rifle all round though.  Love your optic and mount.  I am a Bushmaster fan myself.  I have a Preban with a fully milspec M4 upper with all Bushmaster parts.

I also reccomend the PRI big latch but you only need the RRA saftey if you have small hands and use an offset grip like the G27 or Ergo grip.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#37]
The reason I went with a front flip sight is because I have a scope that I can mount for longer range shooting.  

Since I posted the pictures, I have switched to the ARMS #40 sight and it is much better than the BMAS rear sight.

I went with the jewel trigger because I like a very light trigger pull.  Just my own personal preference.  

For me the Hogue grip is a perfect fit for my hand.

As for as the BMAS rail system, it is high quality and functional but I have been looking really hard at the ARMS SIR forends.  I am still undecided.

I have a PRI Big Latch on order.

Thank you for your suggestions.  I really appreciate hearing comments from people who have experience with what works and what doesn't.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Looks very professional. Enjoy and be safe.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd get rid of the extended bolt release, you have to put your trigger finger in the trigger guard to use it, unsafe gun handling.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#40]
The only thing I would question, is the Jewel trigger. I'll never understand why it is people insist on putting a match trigger, on a tactical weapon. I real world situations, it just doesn't fly. They're much too light for combat use. That is, unless you've adjusted it to the point that it's heavy, but still breaks cleanly.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Okay, I have new pictures of my updated rifle.  I have replaced the BMAS flipup rear sight with an ARMS #40 sight.  I have installed a PRI Big Tactical Latch also.  I have also purchased a Surefire Millenium M962SU with momentary pressure switch.  I really want to thank all the people who have replied to this thread for the great advice that you have given me.  It really helped me very much.  Thank you.

Here are the pictures:

[img]http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/500/492update1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#42]
[img]http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/500/492update2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#43]
[img]http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/500/492update3.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#44]
[img]http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/500/492update4.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#45]
[wow] That is without a doubt! The finest looking post ban carbine I have yet to see.

Good Job! [hail2]
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 11:29:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Dammit, now I gotta start saving for a cqb AR build.  That would be a fun gun. (practical too [;)]).
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 8:19:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Hello.  Thanks for the compliment Spooge5150.  Putting this rifle together has been a dream come true for me.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#48]
I had the Fulton ext bolt release.  Very useful if your rifle is heavy (like 12+lbs) or if you are shooting hi-power and don't want to break your position to load another mag or single load long rounds.

I got rid of it because I got practiced with the A2 to the point where hitting it up top was reflexive and (I originally got the latch because I would often load a mag and then return my hand to the forearm only to remember that I had to release the bolt wasting time [after I stopped forgetting there was no longer any need for the part]).

If pushed against something like brush the paddle could lock the bolt to the rear (it didn't happen to me but it is easy to see how it could.

[b]If I had designed the AR in the first place the bolt release would be accessible to the shooting hand thumb like on the 1911 and it would be less complicated and "learned"[/b]
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#49]
[hail] Now that is one bad-ass looking postban!  I echo Spooge5150's comments.  Best bring that puppy up here to Alaska for cold weather functional testing! I'll do all the work of course [;)]
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 12:08:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Hey Space,
     I am looking to build something very similiar.  I want to get the short ACE stock and the Fobus G27 grip but other than that something very similiar.  Quick question though.  How much could one expect to pay for that 16" fluted upper with the same hanguards and the flip-up front sight?  I wish I had more freedom and not be so constricted as a result of prices, but I'm only 19 so not making any real money as of now.  Very cool carbine!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top