Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2003 9:18:19 PM EDT
First - I left for the military over a year ago and had previously researched what the "best" telestock would be to get after the ban sunsets. Problem is, I forgot what it was, but I remember it was pretty cut and dry.

Second - Is a flattop AR-15 with an (attached) detachable carry handle legal for CMP/DCM shooting or is it still pending approval?

Third - If you remove the screws on the gas key (top of the bolt carrier), is it really important to re-"stake" them? What does it mean to stake them?
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 2:43:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Second - Is a flattop AR-15 with an (attached) detachable carry handle legal for CMP/DCM shooting or is it still pending approval?

Third - If you remove the screws on the gas key (top of the bolt carrier), is it really important to re-"stake" them? What does it mean to stake them?
View Quote

Second question- NO. It is not still pending approval, it was voted on and turned down. Do not get your hopes up that it will be approved in the immediate future. Stay with an A2 upper anyway as a detachable carry handle rear sight does not have enough elevation in it to be used across the course without having to fool with the front sight. The flat top gives no advantage over the A2 in highpower anyway. I wish Rock River would take this misleading info. off of their site as I see this question asked all the time.

Third- YES. You need to re-stake or you will have functioning problems when the carrier key loosens as it most certainly will with a bit of shooting. Loctite, etc. will help delay this some, but re-staking is the surest way to go.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 2:43:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll take a stab at question #3: Staking is the process by which you indent the carrier key just to the side of the carrier key screws, locking the screws in place.  You should be able to see these indentations on your carrrier assembly. If you don't stake the screws in place, they could become loose in time, resulting in a gas leak. I hope this helps, and if anyone with more experience has any constructive criticisms on how I could have explained this, please let me know. [):)]
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top