Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2003 3:49:18 PM EDT
Our issue rifle is a FN manufactured semi-only A2 with standard 1/7 20" barrel.  In order to make the weapons more compact for shorter officers and to make them more manuverable, we're looking at going to a 16" barrel and some shorter stock either tele or RRA Entry or Sully Stock.

I realize that it would be easier to buy new uppers but that isn't going to be financially possible.  I'm looking at the Bushmaster's M4 Dissipator and the standard telestock allowing me to upgrade each rifle for ~$300.

When researching the Sully stock, I saw that you can only run it on a carbine length barrel.  I wanted to know if there were any similar considerations when mixing and matching parts.  For instance, could I install a Dissipator barrel and keep the A2 stock if it fit the officer?  Or, could I install a 16" M4 style barrel and keep the A2 stock?
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#1]
What's a Sully stock?

Barrels don't care what kind of buffer/tube assembly is on the lower; just as long as everything matches:

Carbine buffer/spring/tube
-or-
Rifle buffer/spring/tube

A 16" M4 barrel will work just fine with a full length buffer assembly (A1 or A2 stock) just as a 20" barrel will work with a collapsible stock assembly (though it'll look a little funny). ;o)
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 4:02:07 AM EDT
[#2]
"Entry" stocks work poorly unless the shooter is wearing thick body armor which positions the rifle far enough from the body to get a good sight picture.

I have to admit it took me a while to figure out you wrote "officer" for some reason rather than "policeman."  A good telestock or M16A1 stock will fit most policemen with pistol caliber body armor quite well.

Like Greg I've no clue what a "Sully" stock might be or why it'll only work on carbine length barrels.  Every other stock I've run across will work on any length barrel.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:52:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's the link for the Sully Stock:
[url]http://www.defensive-edge.net/tacticalstore.html[/url]

As far as the Entry Stock goes, we have two short officers.  When they used my collapsible stock, their nose would only touch the charging handle when the stock was completely collapsed.  While not absolutely necessary, I do like using the charging handle to establish consistent cheek weld and they'd actually need the Entry to do it.

I'm leaning more towards a telestock as it could be adjusted to anyone should the rifle be issued to someone else later.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#4]
The must be dwarfs!  I've bloodied nose bringing my M4 up to firing position with the stock closed.  Troops like to see officers doing this from time to time.  [;)]

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't laugh too much.  One of the people in question is Mississippi born and raised.  He is a great shot even though the rifle is huge for him.
One of the running jokes around here is the last thing going through a BG's mind - "Damn, that rifle's bigger than he ... [whack!]"
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I think a 6 position RRA telestock would be your best option for flexibility.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 11:59:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think a 6 position RRA telestock would be your best option for flexibility.
View Quote

Agreed!
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 12:29:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top