Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2003 3:26:03 PM EDT
Which wrench do you prefer? The $10.00 cheap GI wrench? Bushmaster wrench? DPMS or JT wrench? Why is one preferred over the other?

Thanks
M4-AK
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a wrench that says DPMS on it.  I bought it from Brownells.  It looks like this one. [img]http://www.brownells.com/Images/Products/851115001.jpg[/img]  I like it because it allows me to install both standard barrels nuts and nuts for free float handguards.  I also like it because it allows me to break the nut loose without having to use my torque wrench or a breaker bar.  The old GI wrench is antiquated and not the best tool for the job IMHO.

IDHunt
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#2]
The USGI wrench works perfectly, something I can't say about the DPMS wrench and the other similar one I tried.  Maybe I got bad samples of both, but they fit poorly and the wrench flats for the flash supressor and lower receiver extension needed filing so they'd fit.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the comments. My limited experience is that the GI one is underated. Seemed to fit the barrel nut much better with it's 3 peg than my JT wrench. Plus the GI wrench was about ten bucks.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#5]
THe barrel pins (3 pins) on the Bushy wrench are for float tube nuts only (that is my understanding [b]I might have been the last guy to figure that out though[/b]

I was having a lot of trouble with them slipping and tearing up my barrel nut so I flipped the wrench and NOW use the star type semi-circle of teeth looking part and it works far better.

It's good enough for me (I have the GI wrench also but it's a bit of a pain so all I use it for is rifle reciever extensions and I do very few of those anymore.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 4:59:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I have this wrench from bushmaster:

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/223-wrench.asp

It looks nearly identical, and mine has the square aperture for the torque wrench.  Finish is still on mine, because I lost the courage to use it as planned :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top