Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2003 8:54:09 PM EDT
How severe is the divergence in quality in regards to bolt carriers and bolts? For example, Model 1 is known as a low-tier AR maker. How will one of their carriers work in say a Bushy upper?
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#2]
THe bolt carrier is the same as BM. I say this because having had both of them I can't tell the difference- both are chrome lined inside and have the staked on Key screws. I would venture to guess that some of the big companies get their carriers from the same place and simply have them stamped with a brand name designation they are that close.YES I KNOW THAT BUSHMASTER MAKES THEIR OWN B/BC etc but I don't think that makes them better just higher in terms of re-sale value.

The difference with model 1 is SIMPLY THIS:
1 NON-forged front sight post
2 A-1 FH
3 A-1 round sight post
4 flat-ended {not rounded-ended pins in the sight post) this sounds like no big deal but if you ever take a punch and hammer to the rounded end pins you will know that they are way harder to punch out.
5 roll pinned sling swivel (not riveted)
6 NON chrome lined bores

The A-1 parts are cheaper and less desireable(the round front post is worthless, the FH doesn't cut climb, the bore doesn't last as long as chrome lined, the front swivel can come off, and if you mounted the upper on a M16 you could possibly melt off the front sight post if you were abusing the gun.)

That is the difference (not terrible if you get a SS barrel and don't have an M16 you can change out to the square sight post and you will be fine). otherwise I don't reccommend it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 10:40:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#4]
One more question. How can I determine if an expansion chamber is chromed if I am examining a potential carrier? (To be honest, I don't even know  where the expansion chamber is...)
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 11:54:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 7:28:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I see. Thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top