Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2003 7:09:24 PM EDT
Fellas,

I am looking for advice on purchasing an AR-15 carbine style rifle. I currently own Oly PCR-2 which is very accurate, but too many quality issues. Budget is roughly $1,200.00. Dependability is a must for this carbine...Wilson, Bushy, DPMS? Need advice from the pros...thanks and happy Independence Day!!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster or Colt.
Chrome lined barrels, fordged front sight bases.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:22:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Colt. That's my advice.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#4]
BUSHMASTER!  

I hear they have tons better customer service than colt.  

Buy a post ban bushie...when the AWB goes...put a flash hider on! [:D]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for Bushmaster. For $1200, you can get a flattop, trade the carry handle for a BUIS on the EE, and get an Aimpoint w/mount, or an Eotech optical sight.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info...I think it with be a Bushy. Have you any info on the V Match carbine. It is chrome lined w/ a heavier barrel for accuracy.....thoughts???...Weatherby
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Armalite, Bushmaster, Rock River. The ABRRs of the industry.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 8:07:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Colt or Bushmaster.

Bushmaster, in my experience, will have more QC issues than Colt but has a far superior customer service department and the QC issues they do have are usually minor ones you can fix yourself if you like. You can buy Bushmaster parts from anybody and Bushmaster will still work with you to make you happy.

Colt rarely tends to have QC issues; but my experience has been that when they do the factory tends to ignore you and hope you'll go away instead of making them do it under warranty. I would only buy Colt parts from a reputable dealer (like MSTN or Ken Ellmore at SAW) who is more concerned about his business than Colt is - that way he can deal with Colt headaches so you don't have to.

Link Posted: 7/4/2003 8:44:54 AM EDT
[#9]
It took about 400 cycles for my Armalite bolt/carrier/upper to wear in together. It has been 100% reliable for cases of ammo since on everything from Black Hills, Swiss GP90, dirty Izzy surp, Wolf, SA ammo. If it works for an AK guy....
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Rock River Arms is the only way to go. I will satck my RRA up against any other make of AR for accuracy or reliability. RRA are a great value.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Colt or Bushmaster?

Bushmaster.

I have both.  

In fact, if you want to buy a 1986 pre-ban Colt HBAR, e-mail me), and I apoligize for that shameless pitch.  That was NOT what I menat to do - but I would have.  

I put a Bushmaster 16" Vmatch Receiver on top of a factory Ace Stock Lower Receive with an EOTech on top of it, and I love it.

Old Colts have front lower receiver swivel attachments to the upper receiver accomplished with screws, instead of a pin (e.g.:  military) - which sucks.  

The Bushmaster is more military spec (to my feel), easier to clean, operates flawlessly (as does the Colt ) and shoots incredibly accurately for that genre rifle.  

Side to side, I think I shoot the Bushmaster better, but that's subjective.  They're both extremely accuraacy capable for what they do, and are probably a tie/match in that catagory.  Package wise though, there isn't even a choice - the BM came out awsome.  It feels so good I wonder whether it's legal?

Bushmaster's Customer Service has treated me like royalty, and the gun wasn't even there because there was anything wrong with it.  

I have experience with Colt's in that every Colt Manufactured 1911, three in total (including a Gold Cup), shot full auto intermittently,  and/or AD'd becaus of a part malfuction/breakage.

On the flip side, I'm a litte unconfident with the behavior of the adjustments on the EOTech Scope.  But Bushmaster didn't make that.  And EOTech says they can turn it around in 10 days max.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#12]
[size=6]BUSHMASTER![/size=6]
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Any of the big manufacture will be fine, you need to stay away from American Spirit arms, and run, I mean run very fast away from a Hesse.  

Link Posted: 7/9/2003 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#14]
This discussion has some points worth considering.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=163592[/url]
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Colt M4 and a Bushmaster Varminter and just built an ACE stocked Eagle arms lower, will probably buy a Bushmaster, RRA, or Armalite Upper for it - it's all good!
[img]http://www.fototime.com/0850583B96F650C/standard.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:51:34 AM EDT
[#16]
What kinda problems you having with the oly?  Been slobbering over a oly 9mm upper that the wife won't let me buy.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Bushmaster
RRA
DPMS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top