Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2003 6:47:59 AM EDT
I have a M4 Bushy with a regular non-M4 handguard.  I am interested in a Free float hand guard, and don't want to spend 350 on a tube with 4 or more rails.  I only want one on the bottom for a forward grip. Thanks for any advice in advance.  I'm pretty new to AR's.  I traded a Mini 14 and an AK to get my AR.  Love it so far.  Too many options......Brian
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:29:07 AM EDT
[#1]
You could just buy an Accesory rail from Denny's Guns and install it to your standard M4 hanguards, but it will not be free floated.

[url=www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=153903]M4 Accesory Rail[/url]

The only options you have to free float your barrel with the bottom rail and without the removal of your existing barrel nut and front sight tower, is the SIR or RAS II.

All the other float systems require the removal of the barrel nut, front sight and muzzle device.  You SOL if the muzzle device is permanently attached, cause now you need a gunsmith to remove it and recrown your barrel.

The cheapest decent float rail would be the OLY FIRSH, IMHO, for $99.00.  Light weight and durable.  Bushmaster has their own for $150.  C-More's weigh more, fuggitabutit.

Its going to cost you about the the same amount of money to put on a free float system as it would to buy a RAS II (see these go for $300 of EE) or a SIR (saw one the other day for $315 shipped).

Here's your lowest estimation:

Shipping upper both ways     $25.00
Float tube                   $99.00
Labor Fees at $70.00/Hour    $70.00
(without barrel work)    Total $194.00

Throw in at least another $50.00 for any barrel work and now you are at the $250 mark and still on the low end of an estimate.

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks 223rem.  Can you or anyone else give me an idea of the actual difference freefloating your barrel makes.  I understand the concept and the advantages of not stressing the barrel in regards to accuracy, but to what degree.  Is it a huge difference at CQ ranges, or more like an inch to 2 tighter groups at 100 yrds?  If its not noticable at CQ ranges, why is everyone paying for these ras systems and such?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#3]
PongoAR,

I bet a board member in GA would be glad to pull your barrel to put on a FIRSCH. Buy him lunch or a few beers and you'll have a nice rail system for $100 or so.

I have one and it is very sturdy. I also have a SIR.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
M4 FF RAS $320

M4 RAS $323

M4 RAS II $347
View Quote

Labor difference if you do it?

TS
View Quote

Quoted:
$50 TO INSTALL THE KAC FF RAS PLUS RETURN SHIPPING. TURNAROUND WITHIN 72 HOURS MAX.

WES GRANT
[URL]MSTN.BIZ[/URL]
View Quote

TS
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#5]
The Oly Firsh is only $100 or so, I'm sure you can find someone to help you if needed.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#6]
If your goal is to target shoot mainly and maybe some CQB distance runs then paying the big bucks or going to the trouble of taking apart your gun to install a FF tube is IMO not worth it.  You will not notice the FF benefits at 50 yrds to the point where you would say WOW!  If your really looking for somewhere to put a foregrip first and formost then go with the M4 accesory rail or UFIR from GG&G I think.  There are also other add on rails available as well.  They are inexpensive and although not the hightech quality of the KAC or ARMS products will get you started.  Then you can save for exactly what you want in the future which you will do no matter how hard you try not too....[:D]  It's just too damn addicting!  Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
PongoAR,

I bet a board member in GA would be glad to pull your barrel to put on a FIRSCH. Buy him lunch or a few beers and you'll have a nice rail system for $100 or so.

I have one and it is very sturdy. I also have a SIR.
View Quote

You are right about that!  PongoAR, I will help you remove your barrel and install a FF tube depending on where you live.  Send me an E-mail so we can set up something.  Also check out Georgia under the hometown forums, we have a pretty active group/board with a lot of great guys.

The Azalin
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's the correct cost estimation:

KKF will install your FIRSH for $25
KKF quotes shipping on most uppers to be $12.50, doubled it's $25
Add a FIRSH from [url=http://www.gunsnstuff.net/p/018f.html]FAC[/url] $85

Your grand total is somehwere around $135. The RAS and SIR are good, but they're not >2x as good.

While you're there, Kurt can remove that drat Mini-Y and get an A3 FFS for $90, and you're still not to the price of a RAS.. add 3-5 NIW English mags from the EE, and you're finally up to an RAS.

...too many damn acronyms...
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#9]
KKF will install your FIRSH for $25
KKF quotes shipping on most uppers to be $12.50, doubled it's $25
Add a FIRSH from FAC $85

Let's see:

Let Azalin put the FF tube on, save $15.00, $10.00 goes to Azalin for beer.
That gives you $15 bucks towards that KKF A3 Tac Brake. I have one on my M-Forgery. KKF does remarkable work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top