Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2003 6:32:53 AM EDT
I am getting ready to order a 14.5" barrel from either CMMGINC or Bushmaster to have it forwarded to Gemtech to affix a permanent flash hider, a.k.a. Gemtech Bi-lock to attatch my someday suppressor.

My question is this: Which is the better barrel at a better value, the DPMS manufactured, CMMGINC supplied barrel or the Bushy?

They are much nicer at CMMGINC but their barrel is a bit more pricey.

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:50:14 AM EDT
[#1]
The CMMG barrel is truely mil-spec, for the M4: 1 in 7 twist, chrome lined, 4150 steel.

I believe the Bushie is also 4150, and I know it is chrome lined, but it may be a 1 in 9 twist, which means you don't get to shoot the heavy (77g +) stuff that is working so well overseas.

Also, the CMMG barrels are most likely in stock whereas you will have to wait for the Bushie, and probably wait a long time if you want 1 in 7.  

I don't think you would regret the CMMG.  I don't.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:57:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Bushmaster's mil-spec 14.5" barrels with a 1/7" twist are currently out of stock. Bushmaster is supposed to have some avaliable in the next couple of weeks.

DPMS uses a cast front sight base which is not mil-spec.  With the exception of the FSB DPMS's barrels are to spec.

The Azalin
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:28:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Why do they use a mil spec barrel and then not a mil spec front sight?  It seems to defeat the purpose if one wanted a truly mil spec piece or part to put on their rifle.  

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#4]
The cast front sight is acost cutting measure.  The Bushmaster is a better value and I would pick it every time over the DPMS.  In fact I have a Bushmaster 14.5" 1/7 twist barrel with Gemtech Bilock.  Wait and get the best.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:47:41 AM EDT
[#5]
There was another thread asking them the same question and I think it was CMMG that replied with the answer from DPMS was that forged looked "cheap". That may be but they also look authentic. Steve at ADCO will replace it with a forged FSB for $50.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I called BM yesterday and the 1 in 9s are back oredered for "at least 8 weeks".
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, I have both.
Bushmaster 14.5", 1/7, M4 barrel + Phantom
CMMG/DPMS  14.5", 1/7, M4 barrel + Phantom

and they are both sweet, but I only got the BM barrel because I could. I would recommend the CMMG barrels to anyone, the quality is all there, and until this thread, I had not even noticed the difference in the front sight base. Jeff and John at CMMG are great to work with, and they have both the 14.5" and 16" barrels in stock.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Both barrels are good to go. I´m very pleased to DPMS 1/7" 16" I got couple of weeks ago from CMMG. Since I´m only shooting practical with it doesn´t matter that FSH is cast. If it ever gets smacked of I can attach another.

Thanks to Jeff @CMMG

MN
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#10]
How about getting the DPMS barrel and putting a forged FSB on it?  I (think) I prefer the 1/9 barrels, don't the 1/7 barrels wear out a lot faster.  Most people are going to shoot 70+ grain bullets, I have no plans to do so.  Affording the 55gr is hard enough to me.

TS
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How about getting the DPMS barrel and putting a forged FSB on it?
View Quote

They are not standardized so its not really a good likelyhood the FSB will line up with your old pin holes.

I (think) I prefer the 1/9 barrels, don't the 1/7 barrels wear out a lot faster.
View Quote

A lot?  No.  Enough that you will ever notice?  Very, very doubtful.  A non issue to almost anyone.

Most people are going to shoot 70+ grain bullets, I have no plans to do so.  Affording the 55gr is hard enough to me.

TS
View Quote

There is 75 grain ammo that is only a little more expensive than Q3131a.  Dont decide on a 1/9 now because you WILL change your mind later.... I did.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I already have a Colt 1/7 M4 barrel.  The next I get will probably have a 1/9 M4-style barrel.

TS
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There is 75 grain ammo that is only a little more expensive than Q3131a.  Dont decide on a 1/9 now because you WILL change your mind later.... I did.
View Quote

Do you have a name, link or dealer?

TS
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#14]
So the front sight base isn't a standardized part?  Wouldn't it still be possible to pick parts out of a box until one fit?

Of course, you could just pick up a forged front sight base for a light weight barrel and then send the barrel down to kurt for profiling.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:13:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I went with the CMMG/DPMS because I wanted a 16" 1/7 barrel.  I went with a 16" because I wanted the extra velocity and I didn't want a pinned or welded flash suppressor. Also, Bushamster wasn't going to be making a 16", 1/7 barrel anytime soon so I went with the CMMG/DPMS.  In my case I thought having a 1/9 barrel was more of a liability than a cast front sight base.  

I plan to replace the front sight base with a PRI flip-up in the future so I wasn't really too worried about the cast front sight.  BTW, the CMMG/DPMS barrel I got had the pin holes drilled out at the correct distance(1 3/8") as the PRI flip-up so that was a bonus!

If you are going with a 14.5" barrel I agree with the others and go with the Bushmaster.

Edited to add:

I was just reading the awesome 100 gr testing thread over at the ammunition forum and you may really want to consider a 16", 1/7 if you want even more options.

Yes it's 1.5" longer but I feel it gives the best balance of ballistic performance and compactness for AR style carbines.

As far as barrel choices you have;

Bushmaster - From what I've heard they sometimes have a 16" 1/7 M4 barrel but good luck finding one.  I know people want them to make a production run of 16", 1/7 chrome lined barrels but so far they've indicated no interest in making one.

Colt -  Has excellent mil-spec 4150, 1/7, chrome lined, etc.  I've seen these on EE and I know you can get them at [url]www.sawlesales.com[/url] but they are expensive and cost about $400-$450![:O]  

CMMG/DPMS - They make an excellent 16", 1/7, chrome lined chamber/bore, 4150 steel, 5.56 chamber.  The only issue is the cast front sight base but you can have that taken care of for $65(Steve@ADCO).  They are also in stock! If you buy the whole upper you'll even get the M4 feed ramps too!  A pretty good deal since a complete upper will cost about as much as the Colt barrel alone!  OK, I'm a bit biased because I have one and it's awesome![;)][:D]

Either way good luck!

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:22:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top