Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2003 5:16:14 PM EDT
im a newbie, gotta newbie question, please be gentle,ummmmm what is an A2 sleeve,is that like a fake flash suppressor?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, the Rock River M4 barrels come with an A2 style , fake flash suppressor "sleeve", pressed over the end of the 16" barrel to make it look like a 14.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
pressed over the end of the 16" barrel to make it look like a 14.5" barrel.
View Quote

thanks for your help,just a few more questions

explain "pressed over".
Are you saying that the barrel is not 16in + the length of the sleeve. that its actually 16in including the sleeve.and can this sleeve be removed to put on a muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The barrel is 16".  The sleeve is pressed over the end of the barrel to imitate the look of a 14.5" with a flash suppressor.  I've heard the sleeves are difficult to remove, but a competent smith should be able to do so.

Per the post below, here is the pic from Pete's ad:

[img]http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pubimage.asp?id_=193258[/img]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to Equipment Exchange and look for post by Legal Transfers (Pete) and RRA barrels.  He's got a good picture of the muzzle end with the pressed on A2 sleeve.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:51:30 AM EDT
[#5]
You will not be able to remove the pressed on sleve and add a muzzle devise later.  If you want to do that get a regular 16" and have it threaded.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:08:27 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks for your help guys.
i'm actually getting an RRA m4 barrel from pete legal transfer.

are there any real draw backs from the sleeve,aside from it not being able to be removed?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:52:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Disclaimer: The procedure described may void any warranty expressed or implied. What works for me may not work for you... (You've been warned)

I've taken these things off with an automotive-type gear puller. I cut a few slits on each side of the offending device with a Dremel and cut-off wheel, right at the base of the 'hider, to relieve some of the tension. Then place an aluminum washer on the face of the muzzle to protect the crown.

Slide the legs of the gear puller over the base of the 'hider, steady the mandrel on the washer, and twist.

Lemonade.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#8]
A good sleeve will be press fit by making the barrel very cold (use dry ice) and the sleeve hot (or at least very warm).  The expanded sleeve will easily press fit onto the shrunk barrel and when their temperatures stabilize it's almost impossible to separate them.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I had one come off in less than 500rds. Unlined barrel.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the same brrl on my RRA M4....But be advised some of the newer M4 RRA's ive seen have a new type FFS...Kinda looks the same only it is put on the end of a 16 brrl and not pressed over..............UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#11]
u_dog
 If its not pressed over how is it secured?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top