Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2003 3:45:46 AM EDT
i am looking at getting a 1/2x28 threaded fake silencer to fit pre-ban ar-15 barrels i want to attach it permantly to an 11.5 inch barrel to bring over all lenght up to 16 inchs. does anyone know a source for these?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:57:55 AM EDT
[#1]
www.geocities.com/chris_knipstein

I will not be doing them much longer due to selling my machines.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:56:21 AM EDT
[#2]
The fake silencers are aluminum. Not sure how one would attach it to a steel barrel to satisfy ATF.
Ed
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:27:11 AM EDT
[#3]
The BATF does not descriminate against the material being used to extend the barrel. The material used are all metallic in form. They all can be removed at some time with the proper equipment. You can make of out of the hardest steels in the world, and I bet you I can take it off in less than 10 seconds.

The fact is: Metal of any form is alterable. Metal itself in properties can be altered or destroyed at our liking. As long as it is permanently attached and can not be taken off by bare hands at the users discretion is ok by the BATF. There are no regulations of the material being used to fasten to the barrel, just the methods used to do it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:49:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the information. I was thinking about how it would be permanently attached. Can you weld aluminum to steel? Would hi-temp silver solder work? It was my understanding that if it is pinned and welded over, the pin had to be steel and the weld had to be deep penetrating or something like that so that the pin actually gets welded in the process. Is this correct and will it work with a steel pin in an aluminum "can" attached to a steel barrel? If these or some other acceptable method will work, there are some projects I have in mind.
Thanks,
Ed
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Chris has done work for me in the past,BTW chris, Be looking for my upper friday or sat....Anyway One thing i can say about chris is that if you are not 100% happy he will make it right at no cost to you.And i dont think youll be unhappy with his work at all.........UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I have enclosed some of your text to help me answer the question properly.

[red]Question:
I was thinking about how it would be permanently attached. Can you weld aluminum to steel?[/red]
Answer:
You would not be welding it. What you do is drill the hole through the walls of the device that you are using ans a little of the way into the barel. Then you drive a pin into the hole. You want a good portion of the pin to rest in the barrel and also the walls of the device that you using to extend. Then you use the high temp silver solder (Aluminum Based) to "fill" in the hole. Then you blend it in to match the cosmetics.

[red]Question:
Would hi-temp silver solder work?[/red]
Answer:
Some Brands of Silver Solders stick to the Aluminum Alloys without difficulty. This is the great thing about the Aluminums...they are all "workable".

[red]Question:
If pinned and welded over, the pin had to be steel and the weld had to be deep penetrating or something like that so that the pin actually gets welded in the process.
Is this correct?[/red]
Answer:There is nothing that I have read that the pin has to be steel. All they say is "pin" and "weld". I would advise anyone that uses pins to use steel though for the most strength. The Silver Solder bleeds into any nearby "crevices" when you heat it up. This forms the "bond"  

[red]Question:
Will it work with a steel pin in an aluminum "can" attached to a steel barrel?[/red]
Answer: Yes, you can drive a steel pin in the barrel and it will hold securely. Even though it is aluminum.....depending on the wall thickness it can be really strong.

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Chris. I didn't know some of this was possible, especially some of the aluminum stuff. Thanks a lot.
Ed
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:35:17 PM EDT
[#8]
payment pending via paypal e-check
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top