Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2003 1:56:32 PM EDT
This topic may have been covered, but I couldn't find it in the last 30 days.

I am about to buy my first AR and am looking at a BushMaster 20" barrel V Match rifle. I have read a lot of the threads here and am getting dealer price so I don't want to build my own, etc.

Here are my questions:
1) What do people think about these in general as compared to the standard XM15 (20" barrel with A3 config.)?

2) How bad does the handguard heat up?

3) I am wanting to mount a Valdada M2 tactical on it (because I probably can't afford an ACOG even at dealer cost). With the V Match, front sights won't be a problem and I would probably throw on front and back flip-ups. What is it like co-witnessing through one of these sights on a regular front sight post on the standard rifle?

I will get the standard if there are good reasons to be opposed to the V Match.

As for purpose, this gun is for fun at the range and to learn about the AR15. I don't want something on either extreme just yet(sniper rifle or shorty). I am going to get a shorty later on down the road.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#1]
A 20" rifle is not what most of us use when regarding Acogs and cowitnessing sights, and especially not a VMatch.  If your looking for a gun to target shoot with then the Vmatch would be fine with one of the IOR tactical scopes.  If you want an AR for plinking and target shooting look at something in the 16" size.  Theres nothing wrong with the Vmatch it just seems like your wanting a different rifle than it, although a 16 vmatch would work fine.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply Bill. It seems like the ACOG is being used for rapid target acquisition on the 16" barrels?

One thing that I wanted was something versatile. The thought was to have quick-detach scope rings on the IOR so I could then use flip-up sights for close range iron sight shooting. The longest place I have to shoot right now is 200 yards so the IOR may be overkill. I would like to work on longer shots and the IOR looks like a neat toy. I am wondering if you can use an IOR with a regular front sight post or if I should spend the extra money on flip- ups with a milled front sight post. The regular XM15 with a detachable A3 handle would save me money versus all the flip-ups. But I don't mind spending more if the flip-ups will work better for this purpose.

I am a big guy and the 16" rifles feel small in my hands. I want one but I was going to get the M4 style Bushmaster and throw an EOtech on it later on down the road. Are people putting their ACOGs on these guns?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The V-Match handguard gets pretty hot.  Especially if it's been sitting in a gun rack in the sun for a while (like at a match).  I like mine except for that.  

It seems like most of the ACOGs you see on here are on M4 carbines, but I think that's just because the people who will spend the money for an ACOG are the kind who are drawn to the M4-style gun in general.  There's nothing about the ACOG that makes it less desirable on a 20" gun.  BTW, you can't co-witness an ACOG because of the magnification.

The general rule of thumb is that at 4x and above the front sight is so out of focus that it doesn't show up.  In my experience it's not there in a $30 4x but does show up the the $250 4-16x as a "shadow".  Not really in the way, but noticable.  A little higher mount to get the center of the scope above the post will help.

If you haven't already, you should try an Armalite or RRA with the mid-length handguards.  I find them much more comfortable than the shorty handguards on regular 16" guns.  Might work better for you.

Dad just got an AR and he said he liked the regular handguards better so he ordered a 20" A3 with shaved front sight.  (His eyes are too old for irons so his will be scope-only.)
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help guys!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I have since sold my 20" Vmatch (still have a 16), but the forend tube did get hot pretty quick, even when not shooting rapid-fire.  Not much of a problem for me since I used it mainly as a bench rest rifle with bipod, but the smoke really obscured vision since there was no place for it to go except out the front.

I think that Bushmaster must have gotten input (i.e. complaints?) about it, as the new Varminter has nice, large vents in its tube.

The tube is also cold and uncomfortable in cold weather, especially rain and snow season.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:50:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a V match. I don't like the warming-up of the front tube. I prefer the Armalite fiberglass tube.... That aside, it's a nice rifle with great Bushmaster quality.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top