Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2003 7:27:24 PM EDT
why does everyone want a SIR that adds more weight, Half plastic or not,and raises the optics higher?In other words, pin point for me the specific benefits as compared to FF RAS.Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Stability, strength and more options, for starters. You don't need to buy high rings or a riser, you are aprox. 1/4" narrower than what required pannels make the other one. You are less wt., not more, as you only put rails when and where you need them. It doesn't trap heat with any pannels, so the weapon runs cooler and thus easier on the overall weapon.
I'm in love with my #50.
Good shootin, Jack  
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Easier instalation/removal.  Handguard stays cooler longer.........Hmmmmm!  Some are fact most are debateable!  All of which you are soon to be told about!  Hold on to your hat and enjoy the ride!  he he he!  Oh yeah I forgot!  It is new(er) and even newer (#'s) are coming out all the time.  Remember we here are slaves to our AR's.[:)]  
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#3]
All this SIR/RAS/ASS shit makes my head hurt!

I just leave my rifles as is.  Iron sights are all I want!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#4]
SIR mounts the Aimpoint at the correct height.  The only height issue is with scopes.

SIR can be mounted without removal of the barrel or front sight.

SIR has removable bottom panel for easier access to the barrel for cleaning.

SIR looks cool.  As to its alleged increased barrel cooling... I doubt it.  Both have great ventilation and are air cooled.  Both will flow plenty of air.

That said I own a FF RAS because its less money, mounts my optics at the height I want and the panels are more comfortable for me to hold.  I also dont like the idea of the rails just being bolted on.  Its not as strong as the rail being part of the unit.  Then again thats about as moot a point as the "improved" cooling of the SIR.  All your gear is only bolted to the rail anyway.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Personally, I think the KAC URX is the pinnacle of the railed forend, but unfortunately, it's gonna be a while before any of us can get one...

-Troy
View Quote

Amen!!!!  I am waiting for the URX also.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
...I've always thought the SIR was butt-ugly
View Quote

Well, not that I've had occasion to look at many ugly butts, yet if I wanted a rifle to look very much like a set prop from the movie Aliens, I would want a SIR on it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Im resisting the whole robo-gun look myself.  Not for any particular technical issue.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:17:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Im resisting the whole robo-gun look myself.  Not for any particular technical issue.
View Quote

Liar. [BS]

[nana]

[booze]     [banana]

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:47:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Am not...FF RAS on an SPR doesnt count you turd.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#11]
[lolabove]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Lumpy,
great, LOL

Jack
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Am not...FF RAS on an SPR doesnt count you turd.
View Quote

Pick your story. Stick to it. Never give an inch.

[LOL]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#14]
One reason everyone wants SIR is because you can get them. Getting ahold of Knights gear can be a little more like jumping through hoops.

One member of our rifle club waited months for a RAS II, that was fully paid for in advance with certified funds. Another member got tired of Knights never returining phone calls or giving dates on when RAS II would be available. He now has a SIR. If I want a SIR right now, it is a phone call away from any one of several dealers. If I want a RAS II, I have far fewer dealers to choose from and I have to hope they have them in stock. If they dont have them in stock, who knows when they will be available. Often times, distributors dont even know. I ordered 2 Knights triggers for a couple friends. Dealer only had one and held the order for a few days waiting on another shipment of triggers to arrive. They never did come and no one knows where they are.

I have gear from both companies, I like both very much. As far as SIR vs RAS goes, I have my prefferences and reasons for them. But they are not so strong that I would highly recommend one over the other. But the simple fact is that if someone asks me which they should get, the answer many times boils down to which they *can* get. RAS IIs etc are not always available and theres no doubt in my mind that has something to do with why so many people have SIRs vs RAS systems.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:26:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One reason everyone wants SIR is because you can get them. Getting ahold of Knights gear can be a little more like jumping through hoops.
View Quote

And that, sadly, is the exact reason I can't use Colt or KAC parts:  I can never get them.  I am not going to spend my energy trying to force them to take my money :)
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:19:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#17]
   ERRR..UHH....whats ARMS SIR #59?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#18]
#59 is the SIR that will work with full length uppers. Up to now, SIRs were only for carbines.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:29:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
IF YOU WANT TO MAKE A TRULY "INFORMED" OPINION, BUY BOTH. YOU CAN KEEP THE WINNER AND
WES GRANT
[URL]MSTN.BIZ[/URL]
View Quote

Got both from Wes@MSTN and compare it.  I like the RAS MRE the best. This in return makes me look forward to the URX even more.  

[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/SIR/SIR-M3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/guns/MRE_2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:36:32 AM EDT
[#20]
[wow] nice floors man!
oy yeah, rifles arent too bad either [:P]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:11:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:34:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
DOING TRANSITION DRILLS FROM CARBINE TO THE PISTOL WHILE MOVING AND SHOOTING MAKES YOU REALLY APPRECIATE THE FRONT SIGHT TOWER AND BARREL BEING COVERED BY THE KAC MRE FOREND, ESPECIALLY THIS TIME OF YEAR DOWN HERE. NOT NEARLY AS MANY SECOND DEGREE BURNS.

WES GRANT
[URL]MSTN.BIZ[/URL]
View Quote

[headbang]

[;)]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:42:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
DOING TRANSITION DRILLS FROM CARBINE TO THE PISTOL WHILE MOVING AND SHOOTING MAKES YOU REALLY APPRECIATE THE FRONT SIGHT TOWER AND BARREL BEING COVERED BY THE KAC MRE FOREND, ESPECIALLY THIS TIME OF YEAR DOWN HERE. NOT NEARLY AS MANY SECOND DEGREE BURNS.

WES GRANT
[URL]MSTN.BIZ[/URL]
View Quote

[headbang]

[;)]
View Quote

Suck up...he's not going to give you free sh** for that you know?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WES GRANT
[URL]MSTN.BIZ[/URL]
View Quote

[headbang]

[;)]
View Quote

Suck up...he's not going to give you free sh** for that you know?
View Quote

Mind your beez wax dough boy. [fart]

Just happen to agree with the guy.

You guys smell bacon?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:40:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Hahahahaha! [LOLabove] you guys crack me up.

Wes gives out plenty of stuff for free. Its called knowledge based on experience. The knowledge is yours, free for the taking. The gear, however, is not!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You guys smell bacon?
View Quote

I thought your nose was getting drilled out [b]next[/b] month?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys smell bacon?
View Quote

I thought your nose was getting drilled out [b]next[/b] month?
View Quote

Next Monday to be exact.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top