Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2003 10:42:33 PM EDT
Can't wait to get my hands on her...

This is the first pic, a bit of a teaser from Lane (ArmyInf), but I think it should be done by the beginning of the week and hopefully in my hands before next weekend.

Really this thing is WAY beyond my abilities.  I originally intended to have a nice affordable precision rifle built, but I got a little carried away once the process begun.  Oh well, it'll give me a reason to strive to better myself.

Anyway, here are the vitals:

- Douglas 18" SPR Barrel SST 1:8 Twist (Compass Lake) bead blasted for satin/matte finish
- PRI Gen III Carbon Fiber Forend
- ARMS SPR Rail for Gen III
- OPS Inc 2-Port Muzzle Brake w/ suppressor collar
- Bushmaster Forged A4 Upper Receiver
- Bolt Carrier w/Hand Match Bolt from Compass Lake
- PRI Front Flip Up Sight
- ARMS #40 BUIS
- ARMS #22 Medium Rings w/TRR & TRC Mounted
- PRI Gas Buster Charging Handle
- Harris S-BRM Bi-Pod
- ARMS #32 Throw Lever Bi-Pod Adapter
- Topped off with a Leupold 3.5-10x40 M3 w/ gen2 mildot reticle from Premier Reticles.

Regarding the two-tone effect, that was actually unintentional, but after Lane took a pic, I loved it, and decided to keep it that way.  We had originally planned on a 4-port brake and would have had that bead blasted w/ the bbl, but in the last minute, Lane got me a 2-port brake w/ the collar.  The brake and collar were already finished matte/black, so I was considering having it blasted or having the bbl refinished to match the brake.  Anyway, I'm really happy with how it turned out.

BTW, Lane has been great through the process.  I highly recommend doing business with him.  He's got something for any budget.  like I said, I had intended to go 'cheap' but when Lane layed out the various packages he could build, I got a little crazy and kept upgrading!  Still the price was fantastic.

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:59:21 AM EDT
[#1]
That two-tone does look very nice... Like you, I must be part magpie... [;)]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:27:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Did Lane bead blast the barrel?  I have an RRA Varmint upper that I got from him, and that matte finish looks great.  I think it's time to spend some mo money.[:D]

Oh yeah, what is the diameter of the barrel at the muzzle?  A brake might be in order too.[^]

CHRIS
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:23:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Aw c'mon, we need to see the whole thing.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Aw c'mon, we need to see the whole thing.
View Quote

You're telling me!

That's all I've got so far.  Like I said, Lane's finishing it up, maybe he'll take some pics of the upper before shipping it out.  I've got the lower and the Leupy sitting here waiting, and I'll take some pics when I get it put together.  My digital camera is a POS though...

Cixelsyd,

Yup, Lane blasted the bbl.  I don't like shiny bbls.  I really had no idea what the bbl would look like after blasting, but after seeing this pic I am VERY happy with the way it turned out.

Regarding the diameter, I'm not 100% sure on that, I'd have to ask Lane.  I believe that the 4-port brake is available for various bbl sizes, but the 2-port most likely is not.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#5]
sweeet! how much you spent on the OPS brake and collar alone?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are $250 with an SPR barrel from MSTN.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:15:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:32:58 AM EDT
[#8]
thats my question Wes is how loud/backblast is it to the shooters behind you, how does it compare to a mini Y comp.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wes it probably right.  Lane doesn't normally have the 2-port brake, but he got ahold of one for me at the last minute.  Probably changed a couple hands before I ended up with it.    

As far as the cost, well being part of a package deal, it's hard to break it down to individual components, but AR223's number is about right.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not trying to stir up a shit storm, believe me, but why even use a brake on a heavier than normal AR like an SPR?

With so many of you guys posting so many cool pics of your SPRs I'm really wanting to build one [b]but[/b] I personally wouldn't want anything on the end of the barrel which may have a negative impact on accuracy.

You guys planning to use a can in the future or are you just trying to keep the rifle as true to SPR spec as possible?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the answer Wes.  Glad I didn't offend you [;)]

You guys keep posting pics of your SPRs and i'm gonna need to take up a collection for divorce court fees [:D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:40:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Seth,

I am not expecting any decrease in accuracy with the addition of the brake.

To be perfectly honest, I never expect to be able to obtain an OPS can, unlike Wes, I have NO connections.  Even if I did, I'd have to leave MO, since no suppressors allowed here.

Initially I planned for a bare bbl, but after further thought on the matter, I decided to try out the 4-port brake.  As most things with me, good enough wasn't enough, so I decided to upgrade to a 2-port brake when the opportunity presented itself.

I have to admit, I went with the 2-port primarily to have an SPR clone as close to the real thing as I could afford.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Sweet...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top