Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2003 10:34:10 AM EDT
How does this weapon fit in the mix?
How many to they send out compared to M4A1 carbines and M249 SPW's (ParaMinimi)?
Is it like 1-2-1 in a team?

I imagine their may have been cases in Afghanistan where they might have tried to equip everyone in a team with SPRs except the SAW gunner. What do they do in such a situation with the M203's? Will the free float rails accept M203's?

Or do they strictly use the Mk12's for a sniper or designated marksmans weapon, kind of like our answer to the SVD, and things like grenade launching and shotgun attachments are left soley to the carbines?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#1]
It is a SOF system so it is hard to dictate conventional employment.

But the 18B that are SOTIC trained have been using them, as well Ranger unit snipers amongst others.

I imagine their may have been cases in Afghanistan where they might have tried to equip everyone in a team with SPRs except the SAW gunner. What do they do in such a situation with the M203's? Will the free float rails accept M203's?
View Quote

See above employment and no the PRI nor KAC front ends will not work with the M203.

The introduction of KAC URX and ARMS SIR/Rifle will allow the inclusion of such accessories on the Mk12 follow ons.

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
No one is going to hang a grenade launcher off any precision sniper rifle!
Jack
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No one is going to hang a grenade launcher off any precision sniper rifle!
Jack
View Quote

I didn't think that the Mk12 qualified as a sniper rifle. Its a 5.56, it is select fire, it doesn't have a heavy barrel, nor is it a very "heavy" rifle at all. And some have telestocks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Jack - remember when we talked about beating to a different drum...

Yeah thats who

ArmdLbrl - it is.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Your right Kevin, he must know the secret. I guess the fact that they gov't spent a lot of money on stainless precision barrels, accuracy trigger groups, high mag optics, suppressed, spec. ammo and type classified two models,  etc. plus they were deployed with great success, and ordered more, they must have have done all that to support a grenade launcher, the sniper requirerment was a cover stoty:)
Good shootin, Jack

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Jack - empty your IM box...
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#7]
A full auto sniper rifle?

Ok.

So then there probably is only one in a 12 man team rather than one in every 4 man fire team?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:59:23 AM EDT
[#8]
The Full-Auto issue is being debated by all the services who are employing SPR type rifles (Marines included with their Squad Advanced Marksman Rifle (SAM).  Only time will tell how they go...
M203/Sniper Rifle combos...
It can be done with our (KAC's) new URX II ("II" for Military Version) FF "long" rail forend system combined with our new M203 URX Adapter that allows the host carbine or rifle barrel to remain Free-Floating (FF).  Why anyone would want to do this will always be questioned by some.  However, if it can be done without degrading the host weapon's accuracy (as URX II does it), why not offer that option to the Operator?
Especially if your host weapon is sporting a FF match grade 16" or 18 " barrel?
ColdBlue's two cents worth...
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:57:02 AM EDT
[#9]
This is just an assumption but:

I believe the MK12 was meant to be used primarily as a MR precision rifle.(which it does well)

However in an emergency (like breaking contact,etc.) the SPR is relatively, compact/manueverable and lightweight enough to be used as a battle rifle or carbine, instead of just being a unwieldy dedicated SR.

The select fire feature offers the firepower to temporarily gain fire superiority.

This duality allows one individual to "wear many hats" while carrying just one light weight weapon.

This ability is probably important to those who operate in small numbers, hence the designation "special purpose".

just an opinion.

Calvin
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#10]
My only rubs against the GL on the FF system is how;
Are we going to use a bipod.
Get a good standing, kneeling or sitting position.
I for on love the versatility of the GL on the weapon but if it takes away from the primary mission...

Now with the URX the GL could be swapped out easily enough and a bipod added to the bottom panel - I am sure that I would not want to do some patrolling carrying another piece of kit.
Static sure, NP

Full Auto -  don't use it if you don't want it - But when YOU NEED it - it will be there.
 If you can get a great trigger that will allow for a great semi pull - and still allow for F/A why the hell not get it.
(SEE KAC P/N 98164 Full Auto / Two Stage Trigger Assembly)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top