Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2003 6:33:07 PM EDT
Had a Bushmaster awhile back, sold it, now want to get back into AR's. Looking at RRA and Bushmaster. Leaning towards RRA upper that I believe they term the UTE? Kinda a cross between a flat top and a carry handle. Has the rear sight forged and also a weaver rail. What's the opinion on this setup? Will probally put some type of red dot on it. Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:08:29 PM EDT
[#1]
GET A FLAT TOP : A DETACHABLE TACTICAL CARRY HANDLE IS ABOUT THE SAME HEIGHT AND IT WILL GIVE YOU MORE OPTIONS AND HAS IRON SIGHTS AND YOU WONT HAVE TO GET A DIFFERENT UPPER IF THE UTE DISAPPOINTS YOU .THE UTE SEEMS FROM THE CATALOG THAT IT IS A BIT HIGHER THAN THE DETACHABLE TACTICAL CARRY HANDLE AND YOU CAN JUST MOUNT OVER THE IRON SIGHTS ON THE TAC-HANDLE IF YOU WANT -BUT IF YOU DECIDE TO USE THE IRON SIGHTS ON THE TAC HANDLE IN CONJUCTION WITH A SCOPE/RED DOT GET SOMETHING WITH OBJECTIVE BELL THAT IS NO MORE THAN 40MM IN DIAMETER . BECAUSE THE RAIL HEIGHT ON 1" RINGS EVEN HI MOUNT WILL DROP THE BOTTOM OF THE BELL RIGHT OVER THE IRON SIGHT APERTURE .I SAW A UTE AT A GUN SHOW A YEAR AGO BUT THEY DIDN'T IMPRESS ME AS SOMETHING THAT IS PRACTICAL AS WELL AS VERSATILE-BUT THATS JUST MY OPINION I COULD BE WRONG !
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#2]
The RRA UTE upper with the raised flattop and integrated rear sight is only useful if you are going to mount an Aimpoint.

If you plan on ever having any other optic (like an ACOG, Reflex, EOTech, etc) none of them will work with that upper.

You really should get a regular flattop, it will be much more versatile.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:47:04 AM EDT
[#3]
i was just curious about why the eotech or any of the others won't work on this. i have been looking at the same setup, but was going to get the flat top upper and the ute slide on. thanks for the help
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies so far. Now I am more confused. Going flat-top seems to have more advantages than getting locked into UTE. If I went this route, with a flip-up rear, go with milled front sight or standard? Also, what kind of adapters would you need to put on the flat top for optics, or is it dependent on the optic used and whether or not you want to co-witness? Sorry to sound like a FNG but want to do it right this time without spending alot of unnecessary $
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#7]
pupp86,

As you know, I have the RRA UTE (universal tactical entry...Odd name, IMO) I bought it because I thought it was the "bee's knee's". If I had to do it over, I'd get the the flat top version, mainly for the versatility.

I believe the the UTE was specifically designed for use with the Aimpoint ML2/M2 in mind, due to the fact that there is a spare (1/3N) battery comparment built into the upper on the right side. The Aimpoint is the optic I chose, along with the Aimpoint #10819 Weaver ring.

I truely wish I had the ability to mount a powered scope. A flat top would've given me the versatility I now so desire...

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid64/p59fe5b5c0c2c5f7f773a0aff71546175/fc01b244.jpg[/img]

EDIT* ...and to answer you question, I can co-witness through the Aimpoint, although I wish the Aimpoint sat about 1/16" lower to the rail.

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#8]
After the replies everyone has been nice enough to post and talking with some LEO co-workers, I think I have settled on a RRA CAR A4 flat-top, with an EOTECH, and an ARMS # 40 BUIS. Hopefully these will be my last three questions for awhile.

1) Which EOTECH AA or N battery. If AA will this interfere with the BUIS? Don't want to have to put an extension rail on just want to use the flat-top on the receiver.(Specific model # would be helpful)

2) In BM catalog they state to go with a higher front sight post when using the ARMS # 40. Is this really necessary?

3) With this set-up I should be able to co-witness irons through the EOTECH right?

Again, thanks to all that are helping me along.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Pupp- I have the identical set up you described: a Eotech 511 w/n batteries leaves enough room to adjust location of the #40 buis.I saw the BM catalog reference about the taller front sight post and it seems the aperture in the #40 is a bit taller so I had trijicon iron sight in my carry handle and probably voided any warranty implied or expressed but I put the trijicon in my #40 and it seems to have remained the same height as an standard A2 aperture, there is one way around it albeit considerably more expensive .And cowittnessing is assured with this set up as long as the plane between rear sight and front sight remains constant and visible .  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top