Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2003 11:10:41 AM EDT
If and when the ban expires... I'm looking to convert my Post-ban Bushmaster M4 to a preban configuration.

The most important thing to me is to get a flash suppressor.  I'm getting tired of my muzzle-brake.

I guess I could just get a new barrel.  But which barrel:  The M4 barrel, a superlight, or heavy?  My rifle is really more for home defense, and lightweight sounds good to me, but I don't know what the downside would be.

It seems like getting a 16 inch barrel is the easiest way to go.  So I don't have to worry about the NFA paperwork and could still swap the flash suppressor whenever I wanted.

Is it really worth the hassle to get an NFA barrel?

I'm tempted to just get a new upper.  That way I don't have to do much work and I get a bayo lug thrown in too.  Not that I plan on using the bayo lug, but since it's currently banned I thought mabye I should get one when they're legal :)

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Recently I built up an old pre-ban SGW lower.  I had a brand new DPMS M4 upper without a home so I sent the upper to Kurt @ Kurt's Kustom Firearms (found on the Industry board) and had him install a new forged front site with bayo lug and his A3 mil-spec flash suppressor.  Total cost was about $170.  You could do something similar when the ban expires.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#2]
R_S...

It's good that you are excited about the prospect of adding Verboten components to your Bushy, but I have a friendly question for you....

What have you done thus far, & what do you plan on doing during the next 16 months to ensure that when the AW ban expires, it stays dead???

First the work, [i]then[/i] the reward. It can't & won't happen any other way!!!

BTW... welcome to AR15.com
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What have you done thus far, & what do you plan on doing during the next 16 months to ensure that when the AW ban expires, it stays dead???
View Quote

Well, first of all I vote every election.  That's where to start.

Last election I checked up on all the politicians and made sure I voted for the most pro-gun rights ones.

I'm and NRA member and have an NRA credit card that donates a portion of whatever I charge to the NRA... which I use regularly.

On TankNet I'm quite well known a gun rights supporter... crushing the anti's in debate on more than one occasion.

I bought my Bushy after Bushmaster had that stupid suit filed against them.

Most of all I set an example of myself of how a responsible gun owner should act.

In the future I think I'm going to join the GOA and I'm gonna have to sit down and write some letters to my reps in congress.  Something about how I'll be donating money to the people running against them if they vote to renew/expand the ban...

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like you are doing more than many.

I think you are going to see many places offering "barrel threading" when the AWB expires.  Threading the end shouldn't be that spendy, and I wouldn't really worry about the lug, but thats just me.  Why pay $170, when you can get a new barrel direct from Bushmaster for around $200?  Get a new barrel, or just get it threaded.  I'll bet if you send it out before the ban expires the wait won't be half as long.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#5]
A new preban barrel will come with a front sight/bayo lug and flashsuppressor.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#6]
If the ban is lifted I will buy you a preban barrel. I will be so happy I would dance in the streets at the gay parade with stokes.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If the ban is lifted I will buy you a preban barrel. I will be so happy I would dance in the streets at the gay parade with stokes.
View Quote

No you wont. There wont be any pre ban barrels around. There will be some regular barrels though.
GG
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#8]
The real M4s have 14.5" barrels, and yours should have the same.  With a Phantom or Vortex flash suppressor permanently attached, you will be beyond the 16" requirement and thus avoid the NFA tax requirements.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sounds like you are doing more than many.

I think you are going to see many places offering "barrel threading" when the AWB expires.  Threading the end shouldn't be that spendy, and I wouldn't really worry about the lug, but thats just me.  Why pay $170, when you can get a new barrel direct from Bushmaster for around $200?  Get a new barrel, or just get it threaded.  I'll bet if you send it out before the ban expires the wait won't be half as long.
View Quote

The wait at Bushmaster for a 14.5" 1/7 twist barrel was 6 to 8 weeks and like you said, around $200.  I was going to wait 6 to 8 weeks anyhow so I decided to pay less while I waited.  Oh yeah, don't think it's going to be any better when the ban expires!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:09:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Great to hear you are active & involved R_S!!!

You seem to understand that this is more than just a hobby. It's a struggle to preserve our heritage & liberty.

The only bit of constructive advice that I might offer is that you contact your elected reps NOW [i]and[/i] in the future.

We need to keep them busy for the next 16 months with an almost constant barrage of letters, faxes, phone calls, E-mails, etc...

Contact info for your own reps., as well as other Senators & Congressmen who will play a pivotal role in this fight can be found [url=www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=187372&w=searchPop]HERE.[/url]

Hit them early & often R_S... it's the only real chance we have!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top