Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2003 9:08:58 AM EDT
I have looked for preban Colt AR-15's and hardly ever see them for decent prices.  FJ Vollmer had a sporter lightweight carbine with the A2 stock nib for 1400$.  Thats the best I've seen in a good while.  Anyone seen any better prices?  Its getting to the point that I'm not even interested in an AR because of the prices.  With the AW ban approaching everyone is trying to get more for their gun than its worth.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:09:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I paid $1200 for a Bushmaster preban lower seperated from the upper.

$1400 for a NIB Colt is not only a fair price its an excellent price.  Thats like bitching that you cant find a new BMW M3 for under 40k.  If you just cant afford it then dont complain abou the good deals your finding.  An AR is not a bunch of stamped parts that are press fitted and pop rivited together by some communist country.

Why dont you just buy a post ban if money is such an issue?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Well good point. I am bitching too much...damn AW ban.  I hope o so much that it sunsets!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I cannot see paying much of a premium for a pre-ban AR-15.  You can get an excellent new (with full factory warranty) post-ban AR15 fitted with a muzzle break that even looks like a pre-ban for $750 or so, unless you want the rail mount handgaurds, etc.  If you want to go to the trouble (or fun) of building your own AR you can save perhaps a hundred bucks from that.

I do have two pre-bans, but got them long ago, my post bans are every bit as good except you cannot fit a colapsible stock.  It is not like the post bans are made of cardboard or something horrible.  

If I were looking for my first AR15 it would be a new post-ban unless I could easily afford the extra six to eight huindred bucks.

And don't slam the AK-47, AK74's too bad, they are reliable as hell and inexpensive too.  (But not like you suggest, precisely fitted like the AR15).  You can get a nice custom built and refinished AK for $600, and entry level new AK's start below $300.  I have a restocked AK74 (5.45 x 39 caliber) that I enjoy, got about $400 into it total.

Will a pre-ban AR15 that you buy today for $1600 be a good investment?   Who knows.  The investment angle is another thing alltogether, but I'm betting you want an AR15 to shoot.  Remember a top dollar investment gun must remain unfired to stay in the top price bracket!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I wish I could find a preban colt for that price where i live, not one dealer in my area has one for below $2,400
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#5]
mikepenn33,

Why do you wish you could find one for that price where you live?  Why not just buy it out of state and pay the FFL $20 to do a transfer?  If you want a $1400 Colt just go to the Vollmer site and order it up and ship it to yourself as a present. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
mikepenn33,

Why do you wish you could find one for that price where you live?  Why not just buy it out of state and pay the FFL $20 to do a transfer?  If you want a $1400 Colt just go to the Vollmer site and order it up and ship it to yourself as a present. [:)]
View Quote

Everytime I talk to a local dealer about an out of state transfer they lose interest real fast. I have no idea why. Except maybe they want to sell one of there hi-priced ones. friends of mine have run into the same problem. That's why I try to buy local.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are getting a 20", it isn't much difference.  If you want the M4 look, thats another story.  I picked up a preban NIB Oly CAR15 for $750 last year, and that was WAY before any talk of the AWB ending.  The deals are out there, it is just a matter of looking.  I also bought a Colt preban civy M4 (16") with an unfired upper for $1500.  That was also last year.  

The deals are out there, it is just a matter of digging them up.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Isn't that the truth...its just a matter of timing and luck.  Today a friend of mine offered to sell me a Steyr AUG 16" for a great price but its still too much.  I guess post-ban could be an option until the AW ban sunset date.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:10:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Everytime I talk to a local dealer about an out of state transfer they lose interest real fast. I have no idea why.
View Quote

Mike,
Go here [url]http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/[/url].  On the Left Margin (about halfway down) is their FFL Transfer Agent finder.  It will take you to a page with 2 options.

Personally I found Option #2 was better (as #1 came up with more stores than individuals and #2 had more people listed).  Just type in your zip code and it will find a FFL who will do the transfer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top